23rd October 1956, Tuesday

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Graeme
Site Admin

23rd October 1956, Tuesday

Post by Graeme » Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:12 am

Day number 7960Site Date Map
Yesterday << 23rd October 1956, Tuesday >> Tomorrow

Alan
Site Admin

Re: 23rd October 1956, Tuesday

Post by Alan » Wed May 01, 2024 2:22 pm

From "The Wild One '56" :-

Tuesday October 23

Colonel Parker and Tom Diskin flew to New York from Nashville, in preparation for The Ed Sullivan Show.

JUNE JUANICO: Nick Adams arrived, wearing sunglasses, even though the sun was on its way down, looking like Mr.
Hollywood with his California suntan. When Elvis had referred to Nick as a ‘nice little guy,’ I thought it was because Nick
was young, but it wasn’t that at all. Nick was indeed a little guy. Even in his stacked shoes, Nick and I stood eye to eye when
I was in my bare feet, and I'm only five feet, six inches tall.

Nick was constantly cracking jokes in the voices of Mr. Magoo, Walter Brennan, and even Sylvester the Cat. His more serious
impressions were of John Wayne and Marlon Brando. Keeping us laughing most of the time, Nick had no problem fitting right
in with the rest of us. Whenever Elvis was home for a reasonable amount of time, he would make arrangements to visit the
local children’s hospital. On this particular day, Elvis invited Nick to join him for a hospital visit.

Elvis received a call from Dewey Phillips later that evening, and the four of us, Nick, Pat, Elvis and I, piled in the car and
headed for Dewey's house. Elvis was so anxious to get there. I figured the black limo must have been repaired and was ready
to be picked up. As soon as we walked in the house, I could see a projector and screen set up in the den. Elvis introduced
everyone and instructed me and Pat to stay in the living room, with Mrs. Phillips and the children, while he and Nick joined
Dewy and several other men in the den. We waited for what seemed like forever, and finally one of the men came out of the
room. I was facing the den and could see nude bodies on the screen when the door was opened. I went to the door, knocked
a few times, then opened it wide. Elvis jumped out of his folding chair. “What the hell are you doing, June? I don’t want you
watching this shit!” he said, taking me by the arm and closing the door behind us. He knew I was as mad as hell, and started
apologizing as soon as we got in the car. When we got back to the house, Elvis and Nick visited and signed autographs for the
ever-present fans lined up along the fence. Pat and I also visited with some of the girls. They were at the gate every afternoon
after school.
15562days.com - Build it and they will come...

Return to “October 1956”