22nd October 1956, Monday

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Graeme
Site Admin

22nd October 1956, Monday

Post by Graeme » Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:32 am

Day number 7959Site Date Map
Yesterday << 22nd October 1956, Monday >> Tomorrow

Alan
Site Admin

Re: 22nd October 1956, Monday

Post by Alan » Wed May 01, 2024 2:40 pm

From "The Wild One '56" :-

Monday October 22

Elvis rehearsed at home with his band, and The Jordanaires for his second
performance on The Ed Sullivan Show. After a brief run-through of the four songs
they were going to do on TV, they all sat in a little circle on the floor singing
spirituals, with Gladys beaming on the couch. Every so often she would join in
and softly sing a line, while June (Juanico) never shy about her singing, took the
alto part on ‘In The Garden’, which had been part of her high school graduation
ceremony. Later that night she and Elvis drove out to Mud Island, where they had
ridden Elvis’ motorcycle at what seemed like 100 miles an hour on her first trip
to Memphis.

JUNE JUANICO: Elvis’ mood quickly changed the minute The Jordanaires arrived at his Audubon Drive home to rehearse
for the upcoming Ed Sullivan Show. He greeted each one with a handshake and a pat on the back before making all the
introductions. Within minutes of meeting the talented quartet, I felt as if I had known them forever. After a brief discussion of
business, they went to the den and sat in a tight circle in the middle of the floor. Elvis moved over, making room for me by
his side. They practiced the songs they were singing for the Sullivan show until they thought them good enough. Then after a
short break, they began singing just for fun. The magnificent voices of The Jordanaires, was, for me, the thrill of a lifetime.
Even my goose-bump had goose-bumps.

Starting out with a few traditional barbershop quartet selections, to loosen up the vocals chords, the tempo changed to
fingersnapping gospel songs. Mrs. Presley was sitting on the sofa across the room, facing me and Elvis. This was one time she
didn’t stay in the kitchen. Feeling overcome with the Holy Spirit, she raised both arms in the air, shouting, “Hallelujah!” The
rest of us followed in unison with a big ‘Amen.’

When the group paused for a moment, trying to think of what to sing next, Mrs. Presley requested ‘Amazing Grace’. “Now
you're in for a real treat, baby,” Elvis said, knowing how much I loved close harmony. They sang every hymn I had ever
heard, and some I had never heard before. ‘How Great Thou Art’, ‘The Old Rugged Cross’, ‘In The Garden’ were among
my favorites. After a singing session lasting close to three hours, my three-hour piece of heaven ended, and The Jordanaires
finally said good night. They would have stayed longer, but the tenor and baritone voices were beginning to get a little hoarse.
Elvis and I saw the guys out to their car and watched them drive away.
15562days.com - Build it and they will come...

Alan
Site Admin

Re: 22nd October 1956, Monday

Post by Alan » Wed May 01, 2024 2:44 pm

The telegram from the 20th shows that the telegram was sent to DJ Fontana.

Each of the members of those performing on the Ed Sullivan Show may have each been sent a similar telegram.

What it shows is that despite the Jordanaires getting the only mention from June Juanico the rest of the band had to sit there throughout 3 hours of mostly gospel songs or they did the set list for the show first then Scotty, Bill and DJ left leaving the Jordanaires with Elvis.
15562days.com - Build it and they will come...

Return to “October 1956”