Losing ones data....

Well if you really have found another subject you wanna talk about...
Alan
Site Admin

Losing ones data....

Post by Alan » Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:03 pm

So I'd spent a while, months, digitising everything, book, magazine, DVD, LP and CD so it was easier to not only access but to use on here. Finished it just a few weeks ago.

I had a Western Digital external hard disk drive that was 4 TB in size.

I initially used it to put stuff onto that I'd recorded on my freeview recorder so it wasn't full.

After just over three years it packed up last week and I couldnt access it anymore.

Just out of its three year warranty. not that that means a lot as the cost of the drive is the cheapest part, its the data on it and how long it takes to amass and to upload that's the real cost.

I've now purchased a Seagate 4TB external HDD. I've purchased some on line software to try and read what it can off the old drive and copy it to the new one. It's so slooooooow though. It's taken 6 days to do about 10% of it. Now I know why they offer a 30 day money back gurantee on the software - it'll be 60 days before I've finished with it.

Anyone else had a similar story - just to make me feel better lol
15562days.com - Build it and they will come...

ColinB

Re: Losing ones data....

Post by ColinB » Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:23 pm

Sorry to hear of your problems, Alan.

I had a large Seagate separate drive as a backup for my Brennan music storage unit & the Seagate failed after about 3 or 4 years.

I purchased a new Seagate & still had all the stuff on the Brennan so could make a new backup.

Lesson is: always have separate backups - I've got more than one so as to cover any eventuality. !
"I don't sound like nobody !" - Elvis 1953

Alan
Site Admin

Re: Losing ones data....

Post by Alan » Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:35 pm

ColinB wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:23 pm
Sorry to hear of your problems, Alan.

I had a large Seagate separate drive as a backup for my Brennan music storage unit & the Seagate failed after about 3 or 4 years.

I purchased a new Seagate & still had all the stuff on the Brennan so could make a new backup.

Lesson is: always have separate backups - I've got more than one so as to cover any eventuality. !
Yeah, lesson learnt, but backng up 3.4tb's to what was essentially a back up drive and then where do you stop? Do you back up your back up as a bit of a belt and braces?
Having said that I am slowly winning the fight. The on line software was £42 and it is working. I have the server this site sits on that I could use as a back up drive off line but I think the host would have something to say about it given the size :D
15562days.com - Build it and they will come...

Return to “Not Elvis? Really?”