The short few seconds of film of July 31st 1969

It's stuff about our main man
Alan
Site Admin

The short few seconds of film of July 31st 1969

Post by Alan » Sun Nov 29, 2020 1:22 pm

I can't find it, I've got it somewhere on some HDD or computer, so f anyone has it please feel free to reply with it.

Anyway, who was it who filmed it?
Did Parker say, "You can film whatever you want once the curtains fallen." and they took it literally.

CBS cameras had been there on behalf of Elvis' old TV "buddy" Ed Sullivan filming just 3 days before Elvis opened.
Two [Streisand] shows were recorded in Las Vegas ...

Ed Sullivan brought his cameras to tape a special segment with Barbra for his CBS TV show. Sullivan taped his part in front of the live audience. He introduced Barbra; she sang a medley of songs from Hello, Dolly!; then Sullivan came back on stage and congratulated Streisand. Ed Sullivan and the Dolly medley were shown September 28, 1969 on the opening show of his 23rd season. [A clip of Barbra singing “On A Clear Day” was shown on 1970's Entertainer of the Year Awards, too.]

Under the supervision of Sullivan's executive producer Bob Precht, Barbra's entire Vegas show was taped for a possible one-hour television special for the 1970 television season. She performed for the cameras and an invited audience of Las Vegas entertainers at 2:15 a.m. on Monday, July 28th.[ - This is the show Elvis attended!]

Precht told the press that he turned over the tapes to Barbra's manager, Marty Erlichman, who would seek a television deal for the footage.

The potential Streisand television special was shelved and never released.

In 1973, Marty Erlichman offered a possible explanation for the abandoned show: “The reason we didn't do any special for CBS for a long time was because of my running battle with Mike Dann,” Erlichman explained about Dann—who was senior vice president in charge of programming at CBS. “He never believed in Barbra as a talent. His idea for her was to put her in a special with Dick Van Dyke and Andy Griffith ... The last special we did was Central Park and it was right before her film career took off. We had it in the can and Mike Dann scheduled it to air on Sept. 12, 1968. Funny Girl was set to open on Sept. 18, 1968 and I begged him to air the special after the movie opened because it would be a more important event for CBS and Barbra. He wouldn't do it and I swore we wouldn't do anything for CBS until Mike Dann was out.

Fans have been patiently waiting to see Streisand Live at the International Hotel for years. Audio of Barbra's closing number (“When You Gotta Go / Wee Small Hours of the Morning”) was included on Streisand's box set, Just For the Record. And on her 2016 concert tour, footage from the show was used in the opening montage.
15562days.com - Build it and they will come...

Alan
Site Admin

Re: The short few seconds of film of July 31st 1969

Post by Alan » Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:17 pm

Okay, found it:
phpBB [media]

1969_jul_aug_995.png
1969_jul_aug_996.png

I'm not much of a jumpsuit junkie, but I noticed with Elvis' first black suit he wore at the 1969 engagement, the Black Herringbone suit, that that suit didn't have any flared inserts in the strides.
The other two black suits that turned up part way through the engagement came with flares, one with turquoise and one with red inserts.
As far as is known Elvis never wore the Black Herringbone suit outside of this first engagement.
The screen capture above on the left was taken just as Elvis' right leg was raised which would have shown any flare or insert, but the leg of the suit stays put and straight.

If it is Elvis I believe this is evidence indicating the footage being from 1969.

Looking at the audience, even though the clip is brief, I see no celebrities at all. The first show was a celbrity invitaion event.
The lack of any celebrities (up front by the stage in the primary seats would be brimming with them on July 31st) and so it would indicate that whilst the footage is from 1969 it is unlikely to be from July 31st.

We don't know that it's Elvis, do we?
It could easily been footage of Barbra Stiesand wearing black! :lol:
Yes, it was included in the DVD The Great performances Vol. 1, but it was "accidentaly" included, it certainly had nothing to do with the clip it was attached to of Elvis wearing the Chain suit from August 12th 1970, MS.
Elvis went down on one knee at the end of his shows.
pro_white_blue_scf_sweet_multi_09.jpg
pro_white_blue_scf_sweet_multi_10.jpg
ungrouped_028.jpg
1969_aug_18_ms_01.jpg
There's also no security, either of the Internationals or from Elvis own security, standing audience side of the cutain at the end of the stage to make sure no one attempted to get up just as Elvis' view gets blocked by the curtain.

I deliberately removed the sound as well as this was carried over applause on the DVD from the end of Suspicious Minds

jackelvis1969

Post by jackelvis1969 » Fri Dec 16, 2022 10:59 pm

Alan wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 1:22 pm
I can't find it, I've got it somewhere on some HDD or computer, so f anyone has it please feel free to reply with it.

Did Parker say, "You can film whatever you want once the curtains fallen." and they took it literally.

CBS cameras had been there on behalf of Elvis' old TV "buddy" Ed Sullivan filming just 3 days before Elvis opened.

Ed Sullivan brought his cameras to tape a special segment with Barbra for his CBS TV show. Sullivan taped his part in front of the live audience. He introduced Barbra; she sang a medley of songs from Hello, Dolly!; then Sullivan came back on stage and congratulated Streisand. Ed Sullivan and the Dolly medley were shown September 28, 1969 on the opening show of his 23rd season. [A clip of Barbra singing “On A Clear Day” was shown on 1970's Entertainer of the Year Awards, too.]

Under the supervision of Sullivan's executive producer Bob Precht, Barbra's entire Vegas show was taped for a possible one-hour television special for the 1970 television season. She performed for the cameras and an invited audience of Las Vegas entertainers at 2:15 a.m. on Monday, July 28th.[ - This is the show Elvis attended!]

Precht told the press that he turned over the tapes to Barbra's manager, Marty Erlichman, who would seek a television deal for the footage.

In 1973, Marty Erlichman offered a possible explanation for the abandoned show: “The reason we didn't do any special for CBS for a long time was because of my running battle with Mike Dann,” Erlichman explained about Dann—who was senior vice president in charge of programming at CBS. “He never believed in Barbra as a talent. His idea for her was to put her in a special with Dick Van Dyke and Andy Griffith ... The last special we did was Central Park and it was right before her film career took off. We had it in the can and Mike Dann scheduled it to air on Sept. 12, 1968. Funny Girl was set to open on Sept. 18, 1968 and I begged him to air the special after the movie opened because it would be a more important event for CBS and Barbra. He wouldn't do it and I swore we wouldn't do anything for CBS until Mike Dann was out.

Fans have been patiently waiting to see Streisand Live at the International Hotel for years. Audio of Barbra's closing number (“When You Gotta Go / Wee Small Hours of the Morning”) was included on Streisand's box set, Just For the Record. And on her 2016 concert tour, footage from the show was used in the opening montage.
So this was most likely filmed by NBC or KNBC. But it is possibly CBS, they filmed him in San Diego too!

Alan
Site Admin

Post by Alan » Fri Dec 16, 2022 11:20 pm

jackelvis1969 wrote:
Fri Dec 16, 2022 10:59 pm
Alan wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 1:22 pm

So this was most likely filmed by NBC or KNBC. But it is possibly CBS, they filmed him in San Diego too!
The footage of Elvis or the Striesand footage? The San Diego footage was over a year later. I included it the other day on here under Nov 15th 1970

If the footage is from July 31st it was most likely fimed by the TV crew that were there by invitation from Col. Parker, an NBC affiliate called KMIR who filmed Gloria Greer doing her red carpet chats for her Stars Of The Desert show, footage of which I've included under the respective date with three of the guests that has shown up so far.

Alan
Site Admin

Post by Alan » Fri Dec 16, 2022 11:28 pm

PS, welcome to the site jackelvis1969, a pleasure to have you here. ;)

jackelvis1969

Post by jackelvis1969 » Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:06 pm

You said there is balcony footage of this show too right? Who has that piece of footage?

Alan
Site Admin

Post by Alan » Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:16 pm

jackelvis1969 wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 3:06 pm
You said there is balcony footage of this show too right? Who has that piece of footage?
Private collector who loves to be private.
Fans will never see it in the collectors lifetime.
I have no idea how long it is, or how short.
It's 8mm no sound.

Return to “Elvis - We're talking the King”