25th November 1970, Wednesday

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Graeme
Site Admin

25th November 1970, Wednesday

Post by Graeme » Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:42 pm

Day number 13106Site Date Map
Yesterday << 25th November 1970, Wednesday >> Tomorrow

Alan
Site Admin

Re: 25th November 1970, Wednesday

Post by Alan » Tue Dec 13, 2022 12:55 pm

DONNA LEWIS: Daddy stopped by the gate. Vester said that Elvis flew out this morning and should be back in about two weeks. Don’t know where Elvis went.

A MEMBER OF THE LITTLE ROCK SKI CLUB: On the day before Thanksgiving 1970, we boarded a Braniff flight from Little Rock to Denver. Unknown to us, Elvis was aboard the plane in the first-class section. Some of us commented on the boarding of the plane through the rear-door instead of the usual stairs up front. We also noticed the curtains dividing the first-class section from coach-class were drawn. Soon after take-off, we learned that Elvis was aboard and we were allowed to go up front to meet him. He was on his way back to LA from Memphis. He preferred to fly commercial because he disliked flying in a private jet. Later, he got on the cabin speaker-system and sang a bit of ‘Love Me Tender’. I had some black-and-white film in my camera and took four photos of him visiting with passengers in the first rows of the coach-class. Upon arrival at Denver, he, his bodyguard and a young female companion got off first.

1970_nov_25_01.png
1970_nov_25_02.png
1970_nov_25_03.png
1970_nov_25_04.png

Denver Police Department
Denver, Colorado

BOB CANTWELL: A week after his concert in Denver, we went off to the police building so that he could collect a proper badge. Of course, that caused a scene because the word was out that Elvis was in the building. But he was easy guy to get along with and he took the time to talk to everyone.

RON PIETRAFESO: I said, “Oh, man! I don’t know they’ve ever given anybody anything other than an honorary badge.” So, I went to Jerry and told him the story.

He said, “I don’t know if we can do that. I'll call the Chief and ask him.” He called the Chief on the phone, explained the situation to him, and the Chief said “Oh, hell! Let him have it; go ahead — do it.” So, we got him a real one that afternoon and, well, his eyes lit up.

You could just tell the difference. And he apologised. He goes, “Y’know. I didn’t mean to be disrespectful but I want to be around the real guys” And that was our first encounter with him. From that day on, you realised that there was nothing that was phoney about Elvis at all. I mean, everything he did he wanted to be straight-up — the real deal.

He felt that anybody can get one of those honorary badges, but if you get one of the real things that makes you like the actual cops. And he said over and over, “If I wasn’t an entertainer. I'd probably be in law enforcement. I believe that that might be exactly what he would have done.

1970_nov_25_05.jpg
1970_nov_25_06.jpg
1970_nov_25_16.png
Elvis, Jerry Kennedy
1970_nov_25_15.png
1970_nov_25_14.png
Ron Pietrafeso, DA Rusty Mitzner, Elvis,
Jerry Kennedy and George L. Seaton
1970_nov_25_10.jpg
Elvis, George L. Seaton
1970_nov_25_13.png
Elvis, George L. Seaton, Jerry Kennedy

TINA LEWIS ROWE: I mention in my bio that I was kissed by Elvis–passionately. Actually, it was more like deeply and warmly. Maybe sweetly and friendly. But it was nice!

Since I first wrote this article, in 2008, several stories have been done about the day, because of the donation Elvis made (mentioned in the next paragraph). As a result, I’ve had to correct the dollar figure and some other information–but the kiss is the same. Hey, some things just aren’t as memorable!

It was 1971 and Elvis had just given Denver Chief of Police George Seaton a check for several thousand dollars to fully equip a gym in honor of slain officer Merle Nading. Elvis wasn’t wearing a tie with his open collared shirt, so when Chief Seaton gave him a tie tack that looked like little handcuffs, Elvis borrowed someone’s tie so he could wear the tie tack for a few photos.

The tie tack was recently purchased by a collector and I was able to provide the information that Elvis grumbled a bit to someone in the room about not liking the look of the tie with that shirt. (That style of shirt–or the actual shirt–is seen in a lot of photos of Elvis in that era, so he must have liked the look!)

I was in a nearby office when Sergeant Bill Smith, a police photographer, called me and told me to come over and get my photo taken with Elvis Presley. I said I didn’t want to, because I didn’t think the chief or anyone else would want me to do that. But, Sergeant Smith insisted and when I arrived someone introduced me to Elvis, who was very nice about the whole thing. He said, “What about you let me get a nice photo with you, Honey?” I said OK and Sgt. Smith took the picture.

Then, he told Sgt. Smith, “You should get one that is more friendly.” That’s when he gave me the kiss. I expected a quick little peck on the lips, but what I got was (what seemed to me anyway) a very warm kiss! I was so embarrassed I almost couldn’t think of anything to say. What I did say was, “If you’re very lucky, I’ll give you my autograph.” He smiled and chuckled. I asked him about his baby and he showed me two photos of Lisa Marie, which he had in a little plastic photo holder.

Bill was laughing through all of this and still getting his camera and flash set up (isn’t that the way it always is??) I would give a lot to have a photo of the kiss!

Let me assure you, Elvis was not impressed or enthralled with me particularly, he was just very gentlemanly, and I think he figured I’d like saying I was kissed by Elvis. Well, heck, I DO like saying it!

When I was the United States Marshal for Colorado I had the photo on my memorabilia wall, and every foreign visitor was much more impressed with the Elvis photo than with anything else. Several got their own photos taken next to it! Isn’t it amazing how a legend like Elvis Presley can live on in that way?

You will likely never be so memorable that people will pose next to a photo of you decades after you are gone. However, many people may remember you during their lifetimes. Several people will remember you and think of you often. A least one or two will continue to talk about you throughout their lives. Your goal can be to have good things said by all of them, and to have made such a positive difference in the lives of many that some part of you lives on in them.

2022-12-13 (10).png

GEORGE SEATON JR: Elvis Presley was fascinated with cops and my father gave him an honorary lieutenant’s badge in 1970. The day that Elvis met with my father, my father came home and, laughing like hell, related that Elvis spent the day kissing one woman after
another — mostly police department clerks and secretaries — right on the lips. “And,” my father laughed, “he had the ugliest-looking canker-sore on his lip that you'd ever want to see.” I suspect that there are some pretty old ladies out there who still talk about the day that they kissed the King.

Back at the Radisson Hotel
Denver, Colorado

RON PIETRAFESO: The thing that I found out about him was that his interests outside the show-world, especially around guys like us, were not about show-business. I mean, we wanted to talk about show-business and how he got started and his singing. But he wanted to talk about regular stuff. He wanted to talk about what we did and what our lives were like and what we did in the police department and how did we get involved and what kind of gun did we carry and had we ever shot anybody and did we ever get into any high-speed chases.

1970_nov_25_19.png
Elvis & Bob Cantwell
1970_nov_25_20.png
Elvis & Chuck Wilson
1970_nov_25_24.png
Elvis & Herb Ives
1970_nov_25_23.png
Elvis and new badge
1970_nov_25_22.png
Elvis wearing Jerry Kennedys hat & jacket.
Jerry Kennedy wearing a new TCB necklace
1970_nov_25_25.png
1970_nov_25_21.png
Elvis & Ron Pietrafeso
1970_nov_25_26.png
L-R, Chuck Wilson, Bob Cantwell, Jerry
Frazzini, Elvis, Herb Ives & Jerry Kennedy
1970_nov_25_27.png
L-R, B-F, JerryFrazzini, Chuck Wilson,
Elvis, Herb Ives, Sonny West, Jerry Kennedy,
Bob Cantwel & Ron Pietrafeso

RON WENTZ: A few of us were driving around Denver with Elvis one day [November 25, 1970] and he wanted to stop at a gun-shop. We went to Swanson’s which, at that time, was on Broadway. We went in and Elvis saw a gun that he wanted. The gun was a Walther PPK, .22-calibre, semi-automatic pistol. There was nothing notable about it; it was straight out of the showcase. The clerk who waited on us told Elvis that he could not sell it to him since he was not a Colorado resident. Elvis was disappointed so I bought it and then sold it to Elvis. Just to keep everything honest and above-board, I had Elvis sign a little statement that, on such and such a date, he had bought this gun. He had Charlie Hodge look at it to make sure that there was no problem. Charlie said it was okay and so Elvis signed it.

Elvis used to call my home. My wife would answer and he would tell her, “This is Elvis Presley” — as if she wouldnt know. | think that most of the time when he called it was about him being an honorary agent for the Bureau of Narcotics and Dangerous Drugs and getting a badge. He did have very strong views about street-drugs; he was very, very much opposed to narcotics and dangerous drugs and the dealers and the users and that. He felt that, in some way, he'd like to do what he could to help our country fight this battle.

1970_nov_25_33.jpg
1970_nov_25_36.png
1970_nov_25_37.png
1970_nov_25_38.jpg
1970_nov_25_39.jpg
15562days.com - Build it and they will come...

Return to “November 1970”