7th January 1957, Monday

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Graeme
Site Admin

7th January 1957, Monday

Post by Graeme » Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:06 pm

Day number 8036Site Date Map
Yesterday << 7th January 1957, Monday >> Tomorrow

Private Presley

Re: 7th January 1957, Monday

Post by Private Presley » Sat Oct 30, 2021 2:47 am

Knoxville News Sentinel
January 8, 2010

Rebecca Saye remembers being a 9th grader boarding the train with friends that carried Elvis Presley in Greenville, Tenn.in 1957. She said he kissed her and her friends when they departed and she did not wash her face for 6 weeks. "IN 1957,I was in the 9th grade in Greenville Junior High School, and a huge Elvis fan. At that time Elvis would travel only by train, and he would go through Greenville from Memphis to New York to be on the Ed Sullivan Show. Several mornings during the week that he was to appear on the Sullivan show, my daddy would be late for work and take me and my friend to the train station to see if Elvis was on the train. Of course we would be late for school too but important things like Elvis came first. He didn't come during the week, but on Saturday he came through. We were waiting and got our tickets and boarded the train. We had tickets to go as far as Johnson City, where my daddy was going to pick us up. Unfortunately, Elvis was asleep during the trip. On Sunday, he was now on the famous 'shown above the hips' episode of Ed Sullivan."

"On Monday night my one friend and two others decided that we would go to the Greenville train station again, but when we got there the word was out that he was coming through, and there were a lot of people there. We already had our plans made beforehand, so we went to get our tickets. This time to Morristown since he was headed back to Memphis. While everyone else was screaming for him, and he was signing autographs for the others, the four of us girls boarded the train, and when it left the station, we were there with Elvis waving to everyone.
He and his friends went back to the dining car and we were able to sit at the table across from them. He had on the deep red suede jacket that he wore on one of his record covers. We all got autographs, and I got a sprig of parsley, and a piece of bread that he had eaten off of. He kissed us as we left the train and I didn't wash my face for 6 weeks. I can't remember now why I broke down and finally washed it. The event was written up in the Greenville Sun as well as the Knoxville Sentinel. I was able to see Elvis in two concerts much later one. One in Nashville and one in Murfreesboro. I was married with children by then, but I still screamed when he moved.
I will never forget getting to ride on the train with him and it was fun when we were able to take our granddaughters to Graceland and remember how it was once."
1957 Jan 7 Greenville Tenn.jpg
1957 Jan 7 Greenville Tenn_02.jpg

Return to “January 1957”