HMV POP. 182HMV POP. 213HMV POP. 235HMV POP. 249HMV POP. 272HMV POP. 253
Alan
Site Admin

HMV POP. 182 • Heartbreak Hotel / I Was The One

Post by Alan » Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:06 am

UK 78rpm singles • 19561957195819591960
 • Heartbreak Hotel / I Was The One 45 rpm version
 • HMV POP. 182 HMV 7M 385

One difference between the 78 rpm pressings and the 45 rpm pressings is that there was no pressing on the 78 rpm when the publishing was with Mills Music as there was with the 45.
Another is that I Was The One B side stayed constant in label design, whereas the 45 fluctuated in it's text layout.

A side
Heartbreak Hotel
(Axton - Durden - Presley)

B side
I Was The One
(Schroeder - DeMetrius - Blair - Peppers)

hmv_pop_182_a_demo.jpg

Single sided demo of
Heartbreak Hotel

No image - anyone?

Single sided demo of
I Was The One

hmv_pop182_a_tree.jpg
Tree Publishing Co.

hmv_pop182_b.jpg

hmv_pop182_a_mills.jpg
Mills publishing

hmv_pop182_b_bfwood_NCB_Frank_BIEM_RTtaxonAside.jpg
RT tax code on A side

hmv_pop_182_a_acetate_handwritten.jpg

Single sided acetate with
details hand written

hmv_pop_182_a_acetate_type_written.jpg

Single sided acetate with
details typed

hmv_pop182_a_bfwood_NCB_BIEM.jpg
B. F. Wood NCB BIEM publishing

RT tax code on A side

hmv_pop182_a_bfwood_NCB_Frank_BIEM.jpg
B. F. Wood NCB BIEM Frank Music publishing
B side has RT tax code

hmv_pop182_b.jpg

hmv_pop182_a_bfwood_NCB_Frank_BIEM_RTtaxonAside.jpg
RT tax code on A side

RT tax code on A side

HMV_POP182_A_XTtax.png
XT tax code
HMV_POP182_B_XTtax.png
Above two images show the last re-pressing
of this on 78rpm by HMV. It had a narrow
window of time between the RT tax ending and
RCA getting Decca to print RCA's own label.
Opposite is an enlargement of the XT tax code.
hmv_pop182_b_XTtax_only.jpg

heartbreak_hotel_tree_pub_sheet_music.jpg

HMV_POP182_sheet_music.png

15562days.com - Build it and they will come...

Alan
Site Admin

Re: HMV POP. 182 • Heartbreak Hotel / I Was The One

Post by Alan » Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:08 am

On 3rd September 2017, popsike the online auctioneers sold a demo 78 RPM of Heartbreak Hotel for £456.
https://www.popsike.com/ELVIS-PRESLEYHE ... 31293.html

HMV_POP_182_demo_bonhams.jpg

What surpised me was the detailed description stating that both sides played well. Both? I've never known this demo to be a double sided demo. I am aware that the B side also exists as a single sided demo, but never a double sided.
Frustratingly the only image was for the A side. But there's more than one reference to it being double sided which I've bolded and coloured in the description. Yes, it does also say "SINGLE LABEL/PRESSING" once at the top.

Here's the description as given:
ELVIS PRESLEY-HEARTBREAK HOTEL TYPE 10" 78 RPM SINGLE LABEL/PRESSING INFO

H.M.V. DEMO-MATRIX NUMBERS: G2-WB 218-1 & G2-WB 209-1 with EMI STAMPERS 1GM/1GO

CATALOGUE NUMBER POP 182 YEAR OF RELEASE 1956 COUNTRY OF RELEASE U.K. SLEEVE TYPE COMPANY 10" SLEEVE INSERTS/EXTRAS NONE GRADING AND CONDITION DISC(s)
VERY GOOD (ISH)

Visually not impressive there is quite a lot of marking, light scratches and mottling, and what could be a surface crack on side, but it is so fine that it is virtually invisible and I only picked it up when I was studying the playing surfaces under my lamp, and eve now the jury is still out,and has no effect on the reproduction and both sides play well with a good reproduction albeit with crackle. LABELS VERY GOOD CLEAN with NO rips or tears stickers tape or removal marks LIGHT spindleusage and LIGHTISH storage ageing and handling, has some light pen strokes and the bottom of the A label has lifted a bit. SLEEVE MINT/EXCELLENT/(+) Either a NEW REPRO or ORIGINAL COMPANY SLEEVE, Please notify me if you have a preference and I will endeavour to supply one,depending upon availability.PLAIN SLEEVES are what they say they are. Postal Shipping & Handling charges Region SINGLE ITEM UK 1 RECORD £6.50 Due to the very nature of the product and having many years experience at shipping this record will be wrapped and wrapped and wrapped again then boxed and despatched as a small parcel. Personally I would prefer to have it collected and remove the middle man altogether, but the boondocks of Norfolk is quite a trek. As for shipping overseas I am not anticipating it, but wil get a price which includes adequate insurance if asked. Recorded Delivery (U.K.) £1.10 N/A Terms and Conditions Guarantee I like to believe that I have an inkling about these things and accurately describe the item I am selling,but I along with everyone else am only human,and there might be an occasion where my assessment differs from yours,in this instance please contact me,and I will without question accept your criticism and arrange a full refund + your return costs if we need to go down that route. Communication and Feedback I have always been a great believer that feedback is a mutual thing between parties,and should be recognised upon the satisfactory completion of a sale .I know that these days it really matter when it is left as there is no recriminatory comments allowable for a buyer no matter how despicable they behave,but non the less I still prefer to leave feedback once I know that the buyer has received and is happy with the item,and have set my feedback profile to automatically reply to feedback given -So you will get your feedback minutes after you send yours,alternately I could do it manually and with my memory you could be waiting a loooong time. Payment I accept the following payment types - UK Customers - Paypal Cheque or Postal Order. Overseas Customers - Paypal Only
15562days.com - Build it and they will come...

Return to “1956 UK 78 RPM Singles”