Post by ColinB » Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:45 pm

Elvis Film - UK Box office.JPG
Elvis Film - UK Box Office [2].JPG
"I don't sound like nobody !" - Elvis 1953

Private Presley

Re: "ELVIS" (2022) Reviews etc.

Post by Private Presley » Fri Jul 01, 2022 3:18 am

https://people.com/movies/hugh-jackman- ... 22-biopic/

Hugh Jackman Says Austin Butler 'Crushes' It as Elvis Presley in 2022 Biopic: 'Everyone Went Crazy'
"We just absolutely loved it," the actor said of his and his wife Deborra-Lee Furness' reactions to the film
By BreAnna Bell
June 30, 2022 07:00 PM

Hugh Jackman is "thrilled, thrilled, thrilled" about fellow Australian Baz Luhrmann's Elvis movie.

The Greatest Showman star, 53, couldn't contain his excitement as he urged his followers to see the Elvis Presley biopic starring Austin Butler. Jackman gushed over the film in its entirety after having seen the movie in theaters with his wife Deborra-Lee Furness in New York on Tuesday.

"You have done it again, Elvis is incredible," he says in a video on Twitter, tagging Luhrmann, the movie's director, in the caption.

"Everyone went crazy. The music, the visuals, the acting, the production design – everything about is just so beautifully done. It is just so much fun and I highly, highly recommend you all go out to see it," he says.

"Austin crushes – you crush it as Elvis. You did an amazing job. Tom Hanks – you're always incredible, but as Colonel Tom Parker, you're just astonishing. We just absolutely loved it," Jackman adds.

https://twitter.com/RealHughJackman/sta ... -biopic%2F

He closed the brief video, complimenting the director and his wife, Catherine Miller, saying, "Baz and CM, you're just one of the greatest teams out there."

"I'm thrilled, thrilled, thrilled you're making movies because this one is special," he ends the recording.

The movie, which was officially released in theaters last week, focuses on the life and fame of iconic musician Presley. Butler, 30, portrays the roll rock and roll titan and sings some of the star's original early works in the production.

Private Presley

Post by Private Presley » Mon Jul 04, 2022 6:41 am

'Elvis' Crosses $113.5 Million at Global Box Office

https://collider.com/elvis-movie-global ... 3-million/

ColinB

Post by ColinB » Mon Jul 04, 2022 10:41 am

When was the last time an 'Elvis' film was at No.1 at the box office ?

Or were any of them ?

ColinB

Post by ColinB » Mon Jul 04, 2022 10:31 pm

There's a track called 'Craw-Fever', which is a mix of the Elvis vocals on Crawfish & Fever.

Noticed that, near the end, they've mixed in a bit of Surrender as well !

Private Presley

Post by Private Presley » Tue Jul 05, 2022 1:13 pm

Larry Geller on Facebook:

Baz Luhrmann gives us an exciting new take on the iconic story of Elvis Presley, thrilling his millions of fans and capturing the interest and imagination of a new global generation. I’ve seen and enjoyed Luhrmann’s movies before, fast-moving and cinematically exciting, and this one did not disappoint. This movie reveals Elvis’s explosion onto the scene and his near-instant mega-stardom. It will undoubtedly whet the appetites of Elvis fans around the world for more – especially, about the man behind the image (something Elvis and I spoke about countless times in the privacy of his room at Graceland, on his jet the Lisa Marie, and in his hotel rooms when we were on tour).

I was especially pleased to see how his relationship with Black music and musicians was portrayed. Elvis often confided in me about his deep and sincere love for their music and the mutual respect that grew between him and Black musicians.

The movie was an interesting experience for me, as I felt as if I was seeing two movies simultaneously: the Baz Luhrmann biopic and another movie seen through the prism of my own history with Elvis. I was especially moved by the haunting rendition of Unchained Melody at Elvis’s last concert. As the Lisa Marie taxied across the tarmac that night, I stood over Elvis and stared at him in the mirror as I put the finishing touches on the world’s most famous head of hair. Elvis told me that he would give that show his all. And he did. And his magnificent voice never failed him. We’re thankful to Luhrmann for reminding the world of this.

Private Presley

Post by Private Presley » Tue Jul 05, 2022 1:14 pm

ColinB wrote:
Mon Jul 04, 2022 10:31 pm
There's a track called 'Craw-Fever', which is a mix of the Elvis vocals on Crawfish & Fever.

Noticed that, near the end, they've mixed in a bit of Surrender as well !

The opening notes sound like the intro of "Let's Forget About The Stars".

Private Presley

Post by Private Presley » Fri Jul 08, 2022 6:30 am

Elvis Is Shocking, Chaotic, and Very Good
Thrillingly, director Baz Luhrmann makes the remarkable response to the singer feel like the only possible option to being offered this much pleasure, this much freedom.
By Charles Taylor
Jun 24, 2022

One of the real pleasures of Baz Luhrmann’s movies is that he drives purists round the bend. It’s not just that Luhrmann is ambitious but that his ambition has gravitated towards venerated pieces of high-art which gatekeepers of all sorts—some of them film critics—see as desecrated by the director’s razzle-dazzle, pell-mell technique. His detractors will never admit it, but that approach has shown a better, more intimate understanding of his sources than academic reverence ever could. Luhrmann’s William Shakespeare’s Romeo + Juliet did the essential thing any version of that work must: it made the audience fall in love with its two young lovers and made us believe they couldn’t live without each other. The complaints laid against his The Great Gatsby were just embarrassing. Reducing the novel to an anti-materialist screed, the film’s detractors showed no feel for what has long drawn readers to the book: the sensation of being given entrée into a glamorous world, and Gatsby’s heedless romanticism which in the novel is inseparable from a peculiarly American strain of aspiration. Luhrmann saw the glory in the striving, the beating on against the current Nick Carraway speaks of in the indelible last lines. It is a magnificent film of the greatest American novel.

With Elvis, which is characteristically overwhelming and maddening and exciting, Luhrmann has a subject which has never had the respect of high-culture arbiters yet. The irony is that Elvis Presley is the most significant American cultural figure of the 20th Century. Unlike the Dadaists and the be-boppers and the abstract expressionists and the beats, Elvis enacted his rejection of convention and conformity within mass culture—and mass culture responded. The world looks different today because people heard him and looked at him and realized that the paths of predictable respectability that had been laid out for their lives even in advance of their existence need not be followed. Elvis enacted a vision of America that transgressed boundaries of high and low, rich and poor, Black and white, propriety and liberation, a democratic vision that, as Bob Dylan commented later made the country it took place in seem, once again, “wide open.”

It’s a case that still has to be made, for a lot of reasons. It has to be made because there are those still not willing to see Elvis as anything beyond a vulgar joke; those who are ready to associate any White Southerner with the bigotry that has deformed American life for a century and a half. And then there’s the uninformed notion that has dogged Elvis for years—that he lifted his sound and his style solely from black performers—a lie that has been given new life in recent years.

Luhrmann comes dangerously close to putting forth the notion himself in a sequence when the boy Elvis sneaks a peek in on Arthur Crudup play “That’s All Right, Mama” in a juke joint and is then drawn to a Pentecostal revival service across the way. Country, which certainly had an influence on Elvis, is represented solely by the staid figure of Hank Snow (David Wenham), who disapproves of Elvis. Absent completely is the white pop Elvis was listening to along with the rest of the country. (Elvis’s biographer Peter Guralnick wrote of neighborhood gatherings where the teenage Elvis sang songs by Kay Starr, Bing and Garry Crosby, soft, moonlight romance songs. And Guralnick notes that the singer’s vocal on “I Don’t Care if the Sun Don’t Shine,” recorded during the Sun Sessions, is obviously modeled on Dean Martin’s hit version.) The script also flirts with the notion that it was easier for Elvis to get away with what he did because he was white, which is nonsense. Much of the original reaction against Elvis was precisely because his sweaty, overtly sexual stage presence degraded the very idea of whiteness at the time. (The movie itself confirms that when we see newsreel footage of the segregationist Mississippi Senator James Eastland claiming that rock ‘n’ roll is a plot to drag white youngsters down to the level of the Negro.) Luhrmann also plays with the idea that being white made Elvis the acceptable face of what was then called race music. That’s the product of lazy listening. Elvis deliberately combined too many strains in his music to reduce it to one sound. Put Arthur Crudup’s “That’s All Right, Mama” or Big Mama Thornton’s “Hound Dog” next to Elvis’ versions. The originals contain nothing of the immensity of Elvis’ versions, his determination to break free of all restraint and to take you with him.

Conflating events and telescoping time, zooming from one era to the other, often before we’ve gotten a chance to settle down where we are, Elvis is not going to replace Peter Guralnick’s two-volume life of Elvis as the definitive biography, nor does it approach “Presliad,” the great essay that ends Greil Marcus’ Mystery Train, still the best critical thinking anyone has done on the subject.

But what Luhrmann sets out to do, and what he accomplishes so thrillingly, is to make the shock of Elvis once again fresh. When Elvis plays the Louisiana Hayride radio show we see a young woman, whose boyfriend has just heckled Elvis as a “fairy,” moaning orgasmically at the sight of him. Elvis’s mother Gladys (Helen Thomsen) sees the hunger of the girls in the audience and is sure her son is about to be at the center of a human sacrifice. Luhrmann ups the ante when Elvis, the increasing target of public condemnation and threatened with jail, is meant to tone it down at a big outdoor show and instead ramps up everything. The movie interpolates “Trouble,” the song that opened the 1968 comeback special, and uses the opening lines—“You’re lookin’ for trouble/you came to the right place”—as Elvis’s defiant answer to those trying to tame him. Ordered to stand still, Elvis does just that, moving only his pinky. What follows is his demonstration of what happens when the music takes over. He grinds his hips, writhes in invisible chains of the most exquisite bondage, falls to the stage, brings himself to the edge of the stage so the faithful can reach up to touch their idol, so his sweat can drop on them like an anointing. Luhrmann doesn’t allow us to see the fans’ reaction as hysteria. Instead, it seems the only possible response to being offered this much pleasure, this much freedom.

What’s so stunning about these scenes is that Luhrmann strips away our supposed sophistication, and our historical distance, from these events so that we’re seeing them in the same way Roy Orbison described first seeing Elvis. “There was just nothing in the culture to compare it to,” he said in 1986, talking about his own reaction to hearing his music used in Blue Velvet. Luhrmann doesn’t allow us to affect cool at what shocked the conservative ‘50s. This is shocking. Just like seeing the Sex Pistols for the first time, the emotional violence of it goes hand in hand with the thrill, the realization that to align yourself with this is going to be a kind of cultural coming out, a commitment to slamming doors shut and hoping you have the guts to go through the ones that open. And yet, there is a spiritual element to it as well, a carryover of that moment that the young Elvis goes from juke joint to revival tent, which is to say from sin to redemption. This is a revolution that begins in the body and revels in the body even as it attempts to break free of corporeal bounds.

All of this is to say that what Luhrmann has done is to treat Elvis as both a conscious transgressor and a conscious artist, the honor denied Elvis when he’s condescended to as an untutored folk artist, a hillbilly wild man who got lucky, or a curio that has as much weight as a reproduction of an old Coke ad.

None of it would come across if it weren’t for the charisma of Austin Butler in the title role. It’s a wonderful performance, and even more impressive when you realize the pressure on him: a largely unknown actor getting his first leading role playing someone whose image and voice are embedded in the public consciousness. A better-known performer would have brought past associations into the part with him. Without those associations, we can just see Butler as Elvis, though what he does, even at its most uncanny, goes far beyond imitation. For all the physicality of this performance, for all his beauty as a camera subject, this is a fully realized psychological portrait, one that makes you feel Elvis’s pride, defiance, frustration, dashed dreams, and, finally, his suffocation in the life he’s living. For the movie to work you need to love this man. Butler makes that easy.

Luhrmann doesn’t allow us to affect cool at what shocked the conservative ‘50s. This is shocking.
Just as Tom Hanks makes it easy to be repelled by his Colonel Tom Parker. There has been some question as to why Parker, breathing his last, just as Charles Foster Kane is when the movie about him opens, narrates the film. Is the movie, people have wondered, from Parker’s point of view? No. The Colonel is the serpent that slithers through the movie’s never-realized Eden, hissing temptation again and again, not just a con man, but the most devious of manipulators. And that deviousness comes through the prosthetics that turn Hanks into this blubbery troll. It’s an insidious performance. The Colonel, undocumented Dutch immigrant though he was, stands for America as surely as Elvis did, the America that wants to tame Elvis, dilute him, neuter him, deny the promise he holds out.

There is a way in which you can understand why Luhrmann drives some people bonkers. He can wear you out. He seems to be incapable of conceiving of a scene with two characters talking in a simple shot/reverse-shot. Luhrmann is adept at hitting upon some visual image or snatch of a song that drives home the meaning of scene—and then incapable of not repeating the device until it’s drained of its effect. The last third of Elvis, the inevitable downslide in any show business tragedy, lags. And while, to be fair it’s the hardest part of the story to tell (the same ground, covered in Guralnick’s Careless Love, is the saddest story I know), you want something more than the rococo visual take on American excess, the slashing edits, the expressionist clouds of visuals and sound drifting across the screen. I watched Elvis alternately thrilled and wondering how much longer in his career Luhrmann can keep up this style. The last thing I want is to see his ambition tamped down, but he needs to allow himself to go deeper beneath the surface than he has.

But then the most dangerous thing you can do with Luhrmann is underrate him, as the end of Elvis soon reminded me. Luhrmann knows that part of Elvis’s tragedy is that for all the self-destruction and waste of his talent, his great gift, that voice, never deserted him. It’s there in the performances that kept coming, though buried in scads of schlock, right until the end of his life. And it’s one of the final performances, given in Rapid City, South Dakota on June 21, 1977, less than two months before he died, a cover of “Unchained Melody” (also used in the climax of Eugene Jarecki’s great 2017 documentary The King), that Luhrmann closes with. It’s startling because Luhrmann wipes away every bit of artifice he’s used, leaving us with the reality of this decayed giant. It’s by far the most daring device in the movie, emotionally the deepest, and it broke me. Hanks’s Colonel tells us that Elvis died because of his love for us. But it’s our love for him that Luhrmann insists on finally, and the man he insists on our loving is not the rock ‘n’ roll hero of our dreams but a man who couldn’t make his own dreams come true, damn close though he came. Elvis is still reaching for that dream at the end of Luhrmann’s film, just as Gatsby will forever be staring at the green light across the bay. It’s not “Unchained Melody” but another song you might hear him singing in your head as you leave the theater: “Don't be blue, don't you be blue/I'll be faithful, I'll be true/Always true, true to you.”

https://www.esquire.com/entertainment/m ... ie-review/

Private Presley

Post by Private Presley » Fri Jul 08, 2022 7:37 am

OPINION
Elvis is a spectacle
by Harry Khachatrian | July 03, 2022 07:00 AM

The latest superhero picture in theaters doesn’t stem from the pages of any comic book and isn’t suffused with CGI and explosions galore. Instead, it follows the meteoric rise and fall of a universally loved American hero, who, for a period, seemed larger than America and all of life itself: Elvis Presley, appropriately known as “The King.”

Filmmaker Baz Luhrmann’s musical biopic, Elvis, sweeps through three decades of American history. It takes you on a journey from the dirt-poor Mississippi slums that bore and shaped its titular hero in the ’40s through his rise to stratospheric heights of stardom hitherto unknown, and it lands in the throes of his tragic twilight years in the late ’70s.

Narrated by Tom Hanks, who plays Presley’s manager, Elvis unravels its hero’s storied life through the lens of its multifaceted villain. The shrewd but shady promoter, Tom Parker, was instrumental in propelling Presley’s career. Along with securing some of the first million-dollar Hollywood contracts for Presley, Parker practically developed merchandising for artists. In one scene, a puzzled Presley, surrounded by reams of his own merchandise, holds up a button that reads, “I hate Elvis.” Parker explains: They can even profit from Presley’s detractors. It’s a true story and a testament to Parker’s pioneering achievements in music marketing.

But in efforts to subdue nuance and underscore drama, Luhrmann glosses over many of Parker’s triumphs and talents, instead focusing on his (many) foibles and grubby practices. While Presley was high on adulation (and a copious supply of opiates), Parker obfuscated business contracts to fund his reckless gambling addiction.

It isn’t known how many concerts Presley unknowingly played for free at the International Hotel, but, as the film showed, his enervating late-career Vegas residency took a fatal toll on his health. Luhrmann not only captures Presley’s deteriorating physique in this era but also his abject loneliness.

Elvis impersonators are a dime a dozen for weddings and bar mitzvahs. But Austin Butler, who plays the role in the film, is no impersonator. Butler doesn’t just pull off the iconic hip thrusts from “Jailhouse Rock.” He deftly shifts his tonality, stage presence, and countenance, from portraying Presley’s shy, formative years all the way to his weary and drug-addled days in Vegas residency.

Though the latter two-thirds of the film focus on Presley’s decline, the most memorable moment of Elvis comes in its first act: When the nascent singer with slick hair, armed only with his guitar and unorthodox dance moves, faces an unready crowd for the first time.

It only took singing the opening bar for Presley to bring the stiff, seated audience to their feet. Against the backdrop of stale and segregated culture, Elvis Presley opened a new door for them, and for America, and then pulled everyone through.

Ask any of the great classic rock artists we have come to enshrine as progenitors of pop music about their influences, and they all invariably fall back to the swinging baritone of Elvis Presley. “Without Elvis, there’d be no Beatles,” John Lennon once remarked. Bob Dylan echoed a similar sentiment about his career, saying, “When I first heard Elvis Presley’s voice, I just knew that I wasn’t going to work for anybody, and nobody was going to be my boss. Hearing him for the first time was like busting out of jail.”

Luhrmann’s Elvis shows little of who Elvis Presley was as a person; it depicts Presley as an empty but entertaining shell. Instead, the film conveys what Elvis was as a phenomenon and a spectacle. Musical trends come and go, but seismic cultural shifts on the level of Elvis Presley rarely ever occur. Witnessing that revolution alone is worth the price of admission.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opin ... -spectacle

ColinB

Post by ColinB » Sat Jul 09, 2022 10:20 am

Some views:

Me, my daughter Anita, granddaughter Natalie & ex-wife Sue, all loved the film !

Another granddaughter Emma loved the music, the story & all the new [to her] info revealed, but wasn't keen on Baz Luhrmann's filming style.

Tony Trout

Post by Tony Trout » Sat Jul 09, 2022 8:31 pm

I still have not seen the new Luhrmann, "Elvis" biopic but...I know now by reading all of the positive reviews I'm going to have to make it a point to see this film....and SOON (even if Billy Smith & his family didn't like it because they were not mentioned)!!
"If The Songs Don't Go Over, We Can Do A Medley Of Costumes" - Elvis Backstage Before His Third Las Vegas, NV Opening Engagement (August 10, 1970 - September 7, 1970)

Private Presley

Post by Private Presley » Mon Jul 11, 2022 12:44 am

‘Elvis’ Shimmies Past $155 Million at Global Box Office
BY
RAHUL MALHOTRA
PUBLISHED 7 HOURS AGO

'Elvis' is inching towards the $100 million mark domestically

Director Baz Luhrmann’s biopic of Elvis Presley, the ostentatious and over-the-top Elvis, added $11 million at the domestic box office in its third weekend of release, and another $8.7 million from overseas territories to take its global haul to $155.1 million. This is a solid performance by the lengthy adult-skewing drama, reportedly budgeted at $85 million.

Starring relative newcomer Austin Butler as the King of Rock and Roll, and Tom Hanks as his controversial manager Colonel Tom Parker, Elvis is an over two-and-a-half hour long cradle-to-the-grave-style biopic that squeezes in virtually every important moment in the icon’s life. The reviews have been largely positive — the film received a splashy premiere at this year’s Cannes Film Festival — but many have criticized it for its length, and for Luhrmann's decision to tell Elvis’ story from the perspective of Parker, essentially his adversary.

Elvis’ solid performance at the global box office marks a welcome return of dramas aimed at older audiences. Ridley Scott’s House of Gucci was a comparable title, but that film tapped out internationally with about exactly as much as Elvis' current haul. Other high-profile films targeted at adults, such as King Richard and West Side Story, notoriously bombed, as did Scott’s other 2021 release, the historical epic The Last Duel.
elvis-movie-austin-butler-feature.jpg

This is Luhrmann’s first film since his 2013 adaptation of The Great Gatsby, which legged it to over $350 million worldwide, thanks mostly to Leonardo DiCaprio’s star power. Elvis is also one of the final theatrically released Warner Bros. pictures to have begun production before the pandemic. Hanks, if you recall, became one of the first celebrities to test positive for COVID-19 while filming Elvis in Australia.

The film is currently playing in 56 overseas markets, and has South Korea scheduled for July 13, and all of Latin America slated for July 14. While it might not match The Great Gatsby’s worldwide haul, anything over $100 million domestically should be considered a massive win. You can watch Elvis in theaters, and read the film’s official synopsis down below:

Elvis’s story is seen through the prism of his complicated relationship with his enigmatic manager, Colonel Tom Parker (Hanks). As told by Parker, the film delves into the complex dynamic between the two spanning over 20 years, from Presley’s rise to fame to his unprecedented stardom, against the backdrop of the evolving cultural landscape and loss of innocence in America. Central to that journey is one of the significant and influential people in Elvis’s life, Priscilla.

https://collider.com/elvis-movie-global ... 5-million/

Private Presley

Post by Private Presley » Tue Jul 12, 2022 1:07 am

This is the best review that I have come across... written by Andrew Hickey, the same person with A History of Rock Music in 500 Songs podcast that I listened to on Spotify.

Elvis Film Review
Posted on July 11, 2022 by Andrew Hickey
Again, the devil took him to a very high Ferris wheel and showed him all the kingdoms of the world and their splendour. “All this I will give you,” he said, “if you will wear a tuxedo and sing to a Basset hound. These are the only things that help – these tablets”

There is a tendency in pretty much every film with a male protagonist that the filmmakers want us to see as heroic, to try to create parallels with the life of Jesus. That’s certainly been the case with most of the previous dramatisations of Elvis Presley’s life — he’s portrayed as a Messianic figure, come to save a fallen world with the power of rock and roll, at least when he isn’t portrayed as a dumb hick who happens to have been blessed with a talent he didn’t understand, and which he squandered while destroying his own life.

Often those two portrayals have been simultaneous ones in the same film — portraying Presley as an idiot savant who could do precisely one thing, which was being a hip-swinging rock and roll rebel, but who was otherwise not really a fully-rounded human being, not a human being at all. He was God or Devil, but what he definitely wasn’t was a human being.

Baz Luhrmann’s new film, paradoxically because it is so stylised, so obsessed with myth and story rather than with accurate portrayal of reality, comes closer than any other fictionalised portrayal I’ve seen of Elvis’ life to actually portraying the real human being, as I understand him to have been from the books I’ve read and documentaries I’ve seen. It doesn’t avoid Messianic portrayals altogether, but Elvis-as-Jesus is only the third layer of the character. The second, higher, layer, is something close to the real person as he seems to have existed. And the top layer, of course, is Captain Marvel Jr. — Luhrmann has taken Elvis’ real-life love of and identification with the character, and has used it to cast Elvis as the lead of a superhero film, which in these times of Marvel-dominance of the cinema was probably a good commercial idea as well as showing far more understanding of Elvis as a person than any of the many previous portrayals seem to.

But while Luhrmann’s Elvis is both a superhero and a nuanced human being, his Colonel Tom Parker, through whose eyes we see the whole film, is much less nuanced. He is, put simply, the literal Devil. Put slightly less simply, he is the Devil as he might have been portrayed by Orson Welles.

This is one of the few things about this film that surprised me, something that wasn’t signposted in the trailers, which otherwise gave a perfect idea of what the film was going to be like — the film is heavily intertextual, and most of the intertexts for it are given away in the trailer, but the trailer doesn’t say just how much this film is very specifically riffing on the work of Orson Welles. The Colonel’s death scene, at the very beginning of the film, evokes Citizen Kane, as do some of the shots of Graceland, but there’s also a scene in a hall of mirrors that’s clearly meant to make viewers think of The Lady of Shanghai, while there’s a Ferris wheel scene that will of course bring back memories of The Third Man (while both the Ferris wheel and the hall of mirrors are clearly appropriate for the Colonel’s carnie background). Stretching a point a bit, Tom Hanks’ fatsuit and makeup as Colonel Parker do make him look very like the real man, but they also reminded me at least of Welles as Hank Quinlan in Touch of Evil.

Now, this is appropriate in a lot of ways — Elvis’ life is in some ways very, very, similar to the basic story of Citizen Kane, and it’s even closer to the life of Orson Welles — a preternaturally talented young man revolutionises an entertainment medium with his early masterpieces, but gets trapped in bad contracts and grows ever fatter and more depressed, while creating occasional further masterpieces mixed with embarrassing hackwork that no artist of his stature should have to create.

So, the basic narrative of Baz Luhrmann’s Elvis film can boil down to the following:

The Devil, in the form of Charles Foster Kane, comes to Freddie Freeman and offers him a proposition — he can have all the powers of Captain Marvel, and he will also be rich; he will never have to be poor or hungry again. But what he doesn’t tell Freeman is that in this Faustian pact, Freeman will have to live the life that Kane would have lived. For as long as Freddie Freeman is alive, he will be rich and powerful and beloved, but he will also suffer for Kane’s sins, becoming like the picture in Kane’s attic, and only when Freeman dies will Kane feel once again start to receive consequences for his own
actions.

This is, as one might imagine, a rather richer set of driving metaphors for the story than most Elvis biopics have used, and the result is a far better piece of filmmaking.

Which is, to be honest, something that is not normally a consideration when it comes to biopics of musicians. I have seen many of these, and I can think of precisely two music biopics that work as films — this and Love and Mercy. In every other case, you could just replace the film with Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story, and nobody would be able to tell the difference — they’re all forcing the narrative into precisely the same structure, and mix characters reciting huge chunks of expository dialogue lifted almost word-for-word from their source material with contrived drama that bears no relation to the musician’s real life.

Now, the script for Luhrmann’s film does definitely do some of the expository dialogue stuff — so much so that I can tell exactly which books Luhrmann and his co-writers were referring to when writing the script (they seem to have read Peter Guralnick’s Last Train to Memphis, his biography of Elvis up to 1960, but not bothered with his sequel Careless Love for the post-Army years, switching instead to Alanna Nash’s The Colonel, with possibly a little of Priscilla Presley’s Elvis and Me thrown in). But where most biopics are going for realism, and so characters spouting their biographies at each other makes them seem unrealistic, Luhrmann is going for a heightened reality, both extra-diegetically in that this is an extremely stylised, cartoonish, film, and diegetically in that the entire film is the Colonel’s vision while on a morphine drip in his final hours of life. No attempt is made to pretend that if you had a film camera in Tupelo in 1940 or Memphis in 1955 or LA in 1968 or Las Vegas in 1973, what that camera would have captured is anything like what you see on screen, and so you’re not annoyed when people burst into “as you know, your father the King…” style dialogue.

So it’s successful as a film in ways that are unexpected given the genre, in that it actually is a watchable film. There are still problems which come along with the genre — a friend described it as “the longest trailer in history”, because when you’re condensing a forty-two-year life into two and three quarter hours, you’re essentially going to have to have a highlights reel rather than a narrative, and at the same time it also sags in the middle if you’re not super-invested in Elvis’ life because two and three quarter hours isn’t a long time when compared to someone’s life but it is a long time to sit still in a cinema — but it is a film that works as a piece of cinema in a way that almost all biopics just don’t.

But is it successful as a film about Elvis?

That is, of course, something that everyone will have to judge for themselves, and in order to give my own perspective, it’s best if people know where I’m coming from, because levels of Elvis fandom vary dramatically. In my case, I’m a serious Elvis fan, but Elvis isn’t one of the central fandoms in my life, and nor am I someone who makes Elvis fandom a defining factor of my identity, in the way some people are. (I was one of those people from the ages of about seven through ten, but I haven’t been for thirty-something years).

To give an idea of where I am in relation to Elvis fandom, there are roughly four lines of Elvis CDs put out by Sony, the company that now owns the rights to all Elvis’ recordings. There’s the stuff that gets heavy promotional pushes and that you find in supermarkets promoted as Christmas gifts or whatever — the latest iteration of the greatest hits compilation, those albums where they get the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra to overdub new backing tracks on his old records, the various versions of his Christmas album.

Then there’s the basic back catalogue stuff that’s sold to what you might call casual fans — major albums like Elvis is Back! and the Aloha From Hawaii live album, the Sun Sessions compilations, the compilation that was done for the documentary The Searcher, that kind of thing. Stuff where if you buy it you’re definitely an Elvis fan by most standards, but you aren’t digging very deep.

Then there’s the Legacy Editions of his albums — two-to-four disc sets containing albums plus selected outtakes and studio sessions, often paired with contemporary live recordings. A typical example of these is the Legacy Edition of Elvis Today, his last wholly-studio-recorded album, which has the original release of the ten-song album, plus rough mixes of every song before the overdub sessions for the strings and horns and so on, plus a twenty-two-song bonus live album made up of the best recordings from his May/June 1975 tour. These are aimed at serious music listeners, people who are interested in hearing the creative process, but don’t necessarily want to hear every fart and burp from the sessions, just the interesting bits.

And then there’s Follow That Dream, a collectors’ label devoted only to Elvis recordings, which puts out things like a Girl Happy Sessions CD, for people who think “Do The Clam” or “Fort Lauderdale Chamber of Commerce” are such masterpieces that they need to hear a comprehensive audio document of the sessions for that film soundtrack, or a Fun in Acapulco Sessions 3-CD set, for anyone who desperately wants nineteen takes of “The Bullfighter Was a Lady” (sadly that set only contains one take of “There’s No Room to Rhumba in a Sports Car”).

I’m solidly a Legacy Editions-level fan. I find Elvis’ working process fascinating, and love hearing his interplay with musicians (and for most of his career he was working with some of the best musicians in the US, whether the Nashville A-Team, the Wrecking Crew, the American Sound studio group or his own TCB Band), but only when he’s engaged with the material, and I don’t really want to hear the “Yoga is as Yoga Does” sessions any time soon. I own about twenty Elvis films on DVD, but only ever really watch about five of them, and would generally rather stick on Elvis on Tour or That’s The Way it Is than any of the narrative films.

So this means I have, I believe, a good grounding in Elvis’ career, enough to appreciate what Luhrmann is doing, but enough distance that I’m not going to be mortally offended by choices that are made to tell the story better. I’m the kind of fan who knows that when Elvis talks to “Glen” in the rehearsals for his 1969 shows that that’s inaccurate because Glen Hardin didn’t join the TCB Band until the second set of Vegas shows, but who can’t remember off the top of his head who the 1969 piano player was, and who appreciates Hardin getting a shout-out anyway, rather than being annoyed that Larry Muhoberac (I looked him up) doesn’t get namechecked.

From this perspective, the first thing that needs to be talked about is Austin Butler’s performance. Now, straight away, there are things that are immediately noticeable — Butler simply does not look like Elvis. This is not Butler’s fault — Elvis was a preternaturally attractive human being, so much so that even I, someone who both has no visual aesthetic sense at all and who is extremely straight, a combination which usually means that I literally cannot tell what it is that people find attractive in men, at least see that about Elvis even if I don’t find him attractive myself. Elvis also had a natural charm and magnetism that Butler simply does not have, but which again almost no performers have.

I’ve seen several people joke on Twitter, “wow, he really does look exactly like Shakin’ Stevens” and… frankly, yeah, he looks quite a lot like Shakin’ Stevens, a man who first rose to prominence playing Elvis in a stage musical, and who copied a great deal of his style from Elvis, but who was fundamentally a more ordinary-looking person. That’s about the best you can hope for in a situation like this, though.

Vocally, though, he has Elvis’ speaking voice down eerily close. He gets the nuances, not just of Elvis’ voice, but of how it changed from one period of his life to another. He manages to do as good an impersonation of Elvis’ speaking voice as I’ve heard, and to give a decent acting performance in that voice, not just do the impersonation.

His singing voice is not quite that close — they use Butler’s voice for scenes set in the 1950s where Elvis is singing, because there were no multitracks for those sessions from which his voice could be isolated. For sixties and seventies scenes, they use the real performances. Now, Butler doesn’t sound exactly like Elvis vocally, but he does sound like a fairly decent Elvis impersonator, like Ronnie McDowell (the man who did the Elvis vocals for most film biopics and TV series about Elvis in the seventies, eighties, and nineties) or Jimmy “Orion” Elvis (who was the source for most of the “Elvis is alive” conspiracy theories, as he performed in an Elvis-esque costume, with a mask covering his face, and publicity that strongly hinted he was the real Elvis who had faked his own death). No-one who’s hugely familiar with the records will mistake him for Elvis, but very casual listeners easily could.

But what really got me is how well he managed to get Elvis’ microexpressions and body language down. Large chunks of this film are recreations of live performances I know very well — there are a lot of shot-for-shot recreations of bits of the 68 Comeback Special, That’s The Way It Is and Elvis On Tour. I’m extremely familiar with those (especially That’s The Way It Is, which is a concert documentary up there with The Last Waltz and Stop Making Sense) and Butler nails every single gesture, every micro-expression, every bit of body language — and does so without it looking like he’s recreating something. It’s so close and natural, it makes me think of, of all things, Borges’ Pierre Menard, Author of the Quixote, in which a writer sets out to write the whole of Don Quixote, word for word, identical to the book Cervantes wrote, but as an original piece from his own imagination. (The whole film has a Borgesian quality to it, in fact, in ways it’s hard for me to pin down in a relatively short review).

I’ve mentioned Love and Mercy, the Brian Wilson biopic, before, and that’s a film which has a number of similarities to this one, but one of them is that both have central performances that capture the person being imitated spookily well, but so spookily that anyone who is not a big fan of the central character won’t realise how good it is, because it just looks like naturalistic acting. John Cusack is Brian Wilson in the eighties sections of Love and Mercy, and in the same way Austin Butler is Elvis at points. I’ve seen several people talking about this as an Oscar-worthy performance, and it is, but I don’t think it will get the recognition it deserves. Because if you see Butler as Elvis in a jumpsuit goofing around on stage doing karate moves, or dancing to the drummer, you just think “that’s someone doing Elvisy stuff” — it’s what you expect from a performance by someone playing Elvis. It’s only if you’re intimately familiar with the footage being imitated that you think “ah, yes, and now he’s going to gesture with his little finger” and then see him gesture with his little finger, or whatever.

I think what Butler does at points is comparable in his use of facial microexpressions and details of body language to what Tatiana Maslany does in Orphan Black. There’s no higher praise possible.

But I do have some critiques of the film, and one of them connects to the other major performer in the film, so let’s talk about Tom Hanks for a bit. Now, I’ve seen Hanks’ performance come in for some criticism, and I think for the most part that’s rather undeserved. Hanks isn’t playing the real Colonel Tom Parker, but he is absolutely doing a good job of playing a real-life embodiment of absolute evil, someone very, very, different from the kind of character with which he has made his name in the past. The accent is unrealistic at points, but it’s meant to be how the Colonel remembered events while on morphine, and it’s entirely plausible that he would remember himself as speaking with a stronger accent than he really did.

My problem, rather, is with the fat-suit he wears. Quite simply, we should not be making thin people look like fat people, rather than just casting fat people in those roles. It makes sense that they do this with Butler at the very end of the film — Elvis’ weight changed dramatically over the decades he was in the public eye, and you can’t have the same actor play him at every weight without some form of prosthetics. But it’s disrespectful to actual fat people to cast thin people in roles where they have to be made up as fat throughout.

I have to admit that I couldn’t think of anyone of the appropriate size who could have played the part and who was well-known enough to be cast in the role — which is a problem in itself — but then I was talking on the phone with my ex, who mentioned John Goodman, and Goodman would actually have been perfect casting for the role. Not only is he the right body type already, but he is very, very, capable of playing Satanic characters who can go from being utterly charming sales people with the gift of gab to being utter monsters — his performances in Barton Fink and O Brother, Where Art Thou? are very much the kind of performance Hanks is giving.

I suspect that the studio insisted on a star of Hanks’ calibre before approving the film, and he does do a fine job, but it’s a shame. It didn’t spoil the film for me though.

But it adds to a general air of… awkwardness… around size and body type in the film, which I felt most keenly when watching the actor cast as Big Mama Thornton. Willie Mae Thornton was very fat, and that was a defining part of her presence, and also a big reason why she was never as successful as she deserved to be, and the actor cast in that role simply doesn’t look anything like her. Oddly, the actor cast as Sister Rosetta Tharpe does look quite like Thornton, and the problem could have been solved by swapping the casting around — Tharpe was also fat for most of her life, but not in the same defining way as Thornton was, and she was relatively slender during the 1940s.

And that leads into the other major issue I have with the film, race — and here I think there were absolutely no good options for how to deal with this, and Luhrmann chooses the least bad option.

Any honest film about Elvis has to deal with the perception that he stole Black people’s music. Now, that perception is simply false — there is an argument to be made that he was culturally appropriative, but even that’s more nuanced than one might expect, but the common Twitter take is that Elvis just stole a bunch of Black people’s songs, which is flat-out untrue.

But what is true is that a lot of Black musicians influenced him a great deal — musicians portrayed in the film, like Mahalia Jackson, Big Mama Thornton, Sister Rosetta Tharpe, B.B. King, Little Richard, Arthur Crudup, Rufus Thomas, and Fats Domino, and musicians who are not portrayed in the film like the Ink Spots, Roy Hamilton, and Chuck Berry. (A tiny bit of silent footage of Berry is seen in the film, but he’s not named and I don’t think we hear any of his music, though I could be misremembering).

Now, the film makes what I think is the correct choice to portray that influence, and indeed to overemphasise it to an extent — watching the film you would think that the only music Elvis liked was Black blues and gospel, when in fact he was a voracious listener to all kinds of music, and loved what is euphemistically called Southern Gospel (by which is meant gospel made by white people), country music (especially Red Foley and the Louvin Brothers), mainstream pop singers like Dean Martin and Kay Starr, and the light opera of Mario Lanza. None of that is mentioned in the film except in the most roundabout of ways, but I think that’s a reasonable position.

The problem is, it’s still a film centred around a white man, and he’s the protagonist of the story, so all the Black characters are relegated to the fringes of the story. On top of that, Luhrmann is a very stylised, hyper-real, filmmaker, and so his portrayals of Black culture tend to caricature and possibly almost to minstrelsy, in the same way as, say, the Black characters in The Blues Brothers (another film I love which has a well-meaning but problematic attitude to Black culture and music, and to which this also bears some resemblance).

Most of the Black characters aren’t characters at all — they’re just there as musical influences, which is fair enough as I think there are in total ten characters who count as characters in any real way at all — Elvis, the Colonel, Elvis’ parents, Priscilla, Steve Binder (the producer of the 68 Comeback Special), Hank Snow, Jimmie Rodgers Snow, Senator Jim Eastland and B.B. King. And there’s a huge gap between Elvis, the Colonel, and Elvis’ parents and the other five characters. By being given big musical sequences, the Black characters are still given more screen time and more characterisation than anyone other than the Colonel who didn’t have the surname Presley.

But still, this does mean that these figures are marginalised in the story of a white man. And the problem becomes worse with B.B. King, the only Black character to get a significant speaking role. The nature of a film like this means that every character becomes either an antagonist (like the white supremacist Senator Eastland, or Hank Snow, who is rather unfairly portrayed here) or a source of emotional support for the protagonist, and in the case of King, who knew Elvis in his early years when he was just starting out, that means his role is to give him a couple of pep talks, which basically turns him into what Spike Lee refers to as a “Magical Negro”, the Black character who is better and wiser than the white person he advises and solves the white character’s important problems.

Now, again, I see no better possibility for dealing with this while still doing a film about Elvis. You have the choice of either not acknowledging Black musicians at all, or of marginalising them and thus reproducing in part the injustices that led to them being marginalised in pop culture in the first place. As I know all too well from doing my own podcast, it is literally impossible to do even the most well-intentioned look at the major pop-cultural figures of rock music history, and comment on the factors that led to the rise of white stars well above the Black musicians who influenced them, without reproducing that historical injustice at least somewhat. All one can do is be aware of that, and I think the film does, at least as much as any mainstream Hollywood film can.

The final issue I have with the film is that it doesn’t engage, at all, with the fact that Priscilla Presley was only fourteen when Elvis, who was twenty-four, started dating her. Now, I can completely understand the desire not to touch that with a bargepole, because whatever excuses one makes, the fact is that this is what we would now call grooming, and it’s the single most distasteful and reprehensible thing about Elvis’ life (and something I’m going to have to try to deal with myself in an upcoming podcast episode). People aren’t defined by their worst actions any more than they are by their best, and I can see how it would both completely unbalance the film to deal with it and it would cause more than a little discomfort to Priscilla (who is still alive and was by all accounts very involved in the film, and who doesn’t from her public statements consider herself to have been abused, which makes the issue all the thornier), but given that part of the point of the film seems to have been to rehabilitate Elvis’ reputation in the social media age, and the two big problems with that reputation are “he stole Black people’s music” and “he was a paedophile”, I think it would have been much better to face the issue head on.

This is another thing that has to be dealt with when dealing with most of the major male stars of the middle of the last century, and is sadly another way that any film positioning one of them as the protagonist is bound to reproduce social injustices. Real people are complicated and messy and do awful, even unforgivable, things which are accepted in their society, in a way that isn’t — that can’t be — true of protagonists of this kind of narrative.

All of which sounds like I think the film was bad. I very much don’t. I think it’s a film that appeals more to actual Elvis fans than it will to non-fans, but I think non-fans will get some enjoyment out of it. I went to see the film twice, the second time with someone who’s not a fan but who was interested. She enjoyed it but got a little restless around the two hour mark, and some of the criticisms I’ve made affected her more than they do me, but she was still glad she saw it.

For me, the thing that the film gets very, very, very right, which almost overwhelms all my other criticisms of it, is the way it — for the first and only time in one of these fictionalised versions of Elvis’ life — portrays Elvis as a creative artist, not merely as some sort of passive vessel through which the spirit of rock and roll moved or something, and in particular the way it portrays the Las Vegas shows not as some sort of descent into terrible music, but as a culmination of Elvis’ creative life. The scenes of him pulling together the arrangements, directing the musicians, are astonishing. Some of them are repurposed from documentary footage — a lot of the Vegas years film is shot-for-shot remakes of scenes from That’s The Way It Is and Elvis On Tour, sometimes occasionally with a sneaky bit of real footage thrown in for a couple of frames — while other bits aren’t things I recognise, but absolutely have the ring of real behaviour.

What you get from this film is the same reading of the Vegas years that I have — that even while everything in Elvis’ personal life was deteriorating, even while he was being forced to play far more shows than he wanted to play, and was losing interest in the performance side of things, he was absolutely in control of the band, and of his music, and was making music he loved. Watching Butler as Elvis interacting with the actor playing Ronnie Tutt, the film perfectly replicating the way that Tutt took direction from Elvis’ movements, is an absolute joy to behold.

And then there’s the ending, and this sums up what I think the film got very, very right. There’s a piece of footage of Elvis on his last tour, singing “Unchained Melody”, which I have spoken about a lot in the past. It’s a bit of footage most Elvis fans know, but few outside the fandom are aware of. I’ve written about it before on here, but I linked to it on my podcast’s Twitter account in a thread in February. I won’t reproduce the whole thread here, but it’s about how Elvis was clearly physically broken but still giving his all in the performance and showing the utter triumph of overcoming his weakened body to make great music. I ended the thread with “I honestly think that if the Elvis estate want to make Elvis seem relevant to anyone under about sixty, that is the footage they should be using. Like I say, it’s like Johnny Cash doing “Hurt”. And I get chills every time I see it.”

A couple of months after I tweeted that, the trailer for Luhrmann’s film dropped, and it used that performance in the soundtrack. And then in the film itself, to end the film they reproduce the first half of that performance with Butler, then cut away to some archive footage of the real Elvis, then cut back to the end of that performance, footage of the real man the film has been about. It works astonishingly in the film, and it’s exactly the choice I would have made.

And that, ultimately, is why I’ve focused so much on the things I wouldn’t have done here. Because a lot of the choices this film makes are exactly the ones I would have made if I were a big-budget filmmaker. The film is so laser-focused on my personal interests that I can’t be objective about it — Orson Welles! Seventies Elvis! Old superhero comics! Sister Rosetta Tharpe!

It’s the best possible film I can imagine being made about its subject. It’s a flawed film about a flawed man living in a flawed society, and its flaws are those that come from making a film about that topic at all. I’ve certainly been guilty of similar flaws in my own podcasts and writing on Elvis (not the same flaws, because they’re different media, and there’s no such thing as a story outside of the medium in which it’s told, which shapes everything, but comparable ones).

As for Elvis himself… He was some kind of a man… What does it matter what you say about people?

https://andrewhickey.info/2022/07/11/el ... u_SaWEvXb8

Alan
Site Admin

Post by Alan » Wed Jul 13, 2022 3:07 pm

Wow, what a review. I still haven't seen the film, frustratingly, but I'm more reassured now. Thanks for posting it.
15562days.com - Build it and they will come...

Return to “Elvis - We're talking the King”