19th November 1970, Thursday

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Graeme
Site Admin

19th November 1970, Thursday

Post by Graeme » Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:45 am

Day number 13100Site Date Map
Yesterday << 19th November 1970, Thursday >> Tomorrow

Alan
Site Admin

Re: 19th November 1970, Thursday

Post by Alan » Mon Dec 12, 2022 10:56 pm

GERALD PETERS: The day I met Elvis Presley is permanently etched in my brain for several reasons. You see. it was November 19, 1970 — my birthday. We had just organised London Towne Livery Service of Beverly Hills six months before, and things were going very well. So I was feeling in a jovial, festive mood, and I told my wife I was going to give myself a present that day. I was going to goof-off for the entire day. I left her in charge of the limousine. reminding her that I would, of course, have my beeper through which she could contact me. But my parting words were: “Unless it’s a dire emergency, I don’t want to hear from anyone. I want the day to myself.” A few hours later. however, the beeper sounded and I headed for the nearest telephone-booth to call her. “You’re working tonight.” she told me, and I answered, “Give me a break. It’s my birthday.” But you know how persistent wives can be. “Gerald.” she said. “when you know who it is youre going to pick him up — you won’t turn it down. Elvis Presley!”

I rushed back to town, put on my chauffeur’s uniform and headed for the Los Angeles International Airport. Finally Elvis arrived with his retinue — you know, Sonny and Red West, all the gang, including a lady whose name escapes me. I remember she boarded a plane for somewhere else. Then the rest of us went to Hillcrest Road in Beverly Hills. So that was my first meeting with Elvis Presley. | remember as he came off the plane, his road manager, Joe Esposito introduced us. And my instantaneous thought was that he was the most charming and gracious person. He shook my hand and climbed into the back-seat of the car with the rest and we took off.

We hadn’t travelled many miles when Elvis, with his marvellous sense of humour, hearing my British accent, decided to call me ‘Sir Gerald’. And from that moment on, for all the years I was with him, I was always Sir Gerald to Elvis and his guys. The moment Priscilla heard our cars coming up the driveway, she came outside and lovingly greeted her husband while holding Lisa Marie in her arms. It was quite obvious that Elvis was delighted to be with his wife and daughter again.
15562days.com - Build it and they will come...

Return to “November 1970”