14th November 1970, Saturday

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Graeme
Site Admin

14th November 1970, Saturday

Post by Graeme » Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:28 am

Day number 13095Site Date Map
Yesterday << 14th November 1970, Saturday >> Tomorrow

Graeme
Site Admin

Re: 14th November 1970, Saturday

Post by Graeme » Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:22 pm

1970_nov_14_01.jpg
Los Angleles Times, published 16th November 1970
1970_nov_14_02.jpg
Los Angleles Times, published 16th November 1970
1970_Nov_14_ES_01.jpg

ColinB

Post by ColinB » Sun May 22, 2022 8:07 am

14th November 1970 - LA.jpg
14th November 1970 - Evening Show.JPG
"I don't sound like nobody !" - Elvis 1953

Private Presley

Post by Private Presley » Sun May 22, 2022 9:49 am

Are there 3 shows on this day? Graeme has listed one at 11:00 AM.

Alan
Site Admin

Post by Alan » Sun May 22, 2022 10:32 am

Private Presley wrote:
Sun May 22, 2022 9:49 am
"Rehearsal details"
These are shown in purple, the shows are set in blue.
Purple are titled "Rehearsal details" and the Blue are titled "Concert details". Sorry for any confusion.

Graeme's original post ends up having those details in it because there's a rehearsal database where all the links to any given date are preset with a link to his opening post for that date.
15562days.com - Build it and they will come...

ColinB

Post by ColinB » Sun May 22, 2022 10:34 am

Private Presley wrote:
Could be !

"On November 14th, 1970, Elvis performed at Forum of Inglewood in Los Angeles.
No artist before him had ever filled up this gigantic hall, which held almost 20,000 audience members.
When Elvis' concerts were announced they sold out in 5 hours.
They decided to put on an extra concert, which sold out in a matter of days"

Alan
Site Admin

Post by Alan » Sun May 22, 2022 10:38 am

ColinB wrote:
Sun May 22, 2022 10:34 am
Private Presley wrote:
Could be !

"On November 14th, 1970, Elvis performed at Forum of Inglewood in Los Angeles.
No artist before him had ever filled up this gigantic hall, which held almost 20,000 audience members.
When Elvis' concerts were announced they sold out in 5 hours.
They decided to put on an extra concert, which sold out in a matter of days"
The 3pm show was the added show.
The 11am was the rehearsal I've mentioned above.

ColinB

Post by ColinB » Sun May 22, 2022 10:41 am

Alan wrote:
Sun May 22, 2022 10:38 am
The 3pm show was the added show.
The 11am was the rehearsal I've mentioned above.
Right !

Wrote my post before seeing yours !

Private Presley

Post by Private Presley » Sun May 22, 2022 11:18 am

Thanks for the clarification, Alan!

Private Presley

Post by Private Presley » Sun May 22, 2022 11:41 am

1970 Nov 14 AS 01.jpg
Afternoon Show
1970 Nov 14 AS 02.jpg
Afternoon Show
1970 Nov 14 AS 03.jpg
Afternoon Show
Original RCA records 47 1971 Love Letters From Elvis (LSP-4530).jpg
Release Date: 6/16/1971
1970 Nov 14 AS 04.jpg
Afternoon Show
I Got Lucky LP.jpg
Release Date: 10/1971

Private Presley

Post by Private Presley » Sun May 22, 2022 11:42 am

1970 Nov 14 ES 01.jpg
Evening Show
You'll Never Walk Alone CALX-2472.jpeg
Release Date: 1974

Alan
Site Admin

Post by Alan » Fri Dec 09, 2022 2:05 am

MAY MANN: It was during that night’s show that Elvis, in a rare moment of confidence, spoke to his audience with a complete frankness denying certain unspecified — but obvious to all — allegations which had been made regarding his private life (a paternity suit which had vanished into thin air, reportedly as a hoax). “I want to thank all of you for your belief and your loyalty to me,” Elvis said, and you could see his eyes glistening with emotion. And you then realised how deeply he had felt about the charges and of his innocence. Then he spoke of his new MGM movie, the documentary Elvis: That’s The Way It Is, which is in current release. “It is the best film I have made in ten years.” Elvis said. “I hope you like it, too.”

When Elvis said goodnight, near midnight, he was mindful that he was playing a concert the next night in San Diego. And the tour would continue the night after in Oklahoma City before, after his all record-breaking appcarances in concerts in Oakland, San Francisco, Portland and Seattle, winding-up within the week in Denver. This is a gruelling whirlwind tour for any artist. Such rigid timing might not be expected of a superstar who can take his time and all on his own terms. Elvis, however, is a hard worker. He likes hard work, he said. And when it’s doing his thing before and with people — his people, all of us — he’ll make any and every effort.

Priscilla stayed with the baby in the new home that Elvis has just bought her in Holmby Hills. It is a luxurious mansion with more seclusion than they have previously rented here. “But Graceland is and always will be home.” Elvis smiled. "I feel alive again and happy.” he exclaimed, working out front instead of behind the scenes.

Elvis met the challenge well. Thirteen-and-a-half years ago here, the PTA and some churchmen not understanding the new ‘rock 'n’ roll” — had banned Elvis as vulgar and obscene. Here today he was acknowledged as the world’s idol who could apparently do no wrong. Even the conservative Los Angeles Times’ front-page declared, “Elvis’ enormous personal charisma, showmanship and excellent voice showed that he is still way in front of everybody else.” The box- office revealed that Elvis again had just set a new box-office record, grossing $313,000, which surpassed the one-day record set last year by the Rolling Stones at $238,000.

REX MARTIN: We heard a little more of what goaded Elvis into enumerating his achievements at the Forum in November 1970. Apparently, Lisa gets very upset when Elvis goes away either to Las Vegas or Nashville. In order not to upset her, he decided to stay at a Hollywood hotel between the afternoon and evening shows. Some fans heard about this and went to the hotel in the hope of getting to him, and they succeeded. Among them was a ‘plant’ from Patricia Parker’s lawyer, Paul Caruso. This person got to speak to Elvis and served him with some papers. Now, this was the second time that Caruso had used this kind of tactic; the original papers had been served on him in Las Vegas on his opening night of August 10, 1970. In Elvis’ view, it was a deliberate effort to ruin his carcer, and he had said, “If I hadn’t had such wonderful and loyal fans, everything for which I have worked for the last fifteen years would have been destroyed.” He was so mad that someone should try to destroy him in this way that he made a public statement of his achievements. However, he was sorry latethat he had been goaded into losing his temper.

SUE WIEGERT: Elvis appeared in concert at the Inglewood Forum in the Los Angeles area in November 1970, and sold out in a matter of five or six hours. A second show was added and also sold out. Elvis thanked the fans from the stage for their support and he also invited them to come to Graceland to see all of his gold records. For his special LA concert, Elvis wore a specially-made jumpsuit which made him look like Batman.
It was white and fringed all along the sleeves which rose up under the shoulder and looked a little like a cape or the wings of a bat. Elvis had some trouble with the fringes when he tried to twist and turn. He had expected them to lend a dramatic flair to the performance and they did but, when he wanted to do just a short twist, they often got tangled up with his microphone.

MARK JUNGHEIM: I had the pleasure of seeing Elvis a total of four times. My mother arranged for me to visit the set of Clambake in 1967. I then saw Elvis perform in August 1970 in Las Vegas and I attended the evening performance at the LA Forum in November 1970 when I was eleven-ycars-old. I have only three vivid memories of that evening and none of them are about Elvis on stage. I was sitting on the floor-section of the auditorium, perhaps twenty rows away from the stage. I remember seeing Colonel Parker walking with a cane along the aisles of the seats before the show. I also recognised Jerry West who was a famous basketball player for the LA Lakers in the audience. Prior to Elvis coming on stage, I also recall Armond Morales doing the sound-check. The show itself was only brought clearer to my mind when a poor-quality bootleg was released. More memorable for me was the time that I saw Elvis perform in July 1971 in Lake Tahoe because of the caveman mask that he wore during the opening to You’ve Lost That Lovin’ Feelin”.

The Hollywood Reporter
      By Sue Cameron

Elvis is really the King. No wonder Tom Jones and Mick Jagger work so hard on stage; they know what they have to beat. But it is that very fact about working on stage that makes Presley No. 1. His performanc is electric and effortless, and that is the key. Presley knows who he is and what he’s got and doesn’t have to try to sell it — it’s all over the place.

What makes Presley so great to see in person is that his show really is high camp. He makes fun of himself and the “swivel hips’ all through the show. He laughs at himself, which endears him to all. Each time he does a hand-motion or a leer or a knee-movement, there is a sly smile on his face.

Special credit should be given to his drummer, Ronnie Tutt, whose accents are perfectly timed with Presley’s. These two men working together make the show the most exciting live performance today.

Also behind Presley are his male singing-group, the Imperials, and his female singers, the Sweet Inspirations. Along with conductor Joe Guercio, lead guitarist James Burton, and pianist Glen Hardin, this is the tightest backing around.

Presley sang 15 songs, the best of which was ‘Polk Salad Annie’, but they were all there — ‘Hound Dog’, “Heartbreak Hotel’, ‘Blue Suede Shoes’, plus newer hits like “The Wonder Of You’, ‘You Don’t Have To Say You Love Me’ and ‘Suspicious Minds’.

Ann Went To Live Show In LA
And Didn’t Like EI’s Ego Trip!
      By Ann Moses
      New Musical Express
      November 28, 1970

Though Elvis’ show at the Los Angeles Forum last Saturday night was, for him, at times an uncharacteristic ego trip the King still managed to thrill the overflowing house and present some real surprises for even the most devoted fans. During his show, Elvis pointed out that this was the audience that had snatched up the some 18,000 seats in less than nine hours. At one point in the show, he said: “You’ve been a wonderful audience, ladies and gentlemen, and I love you.” And though Presley was perhaps trying to show his appreciation, his continued boasting, I felt, was really unnecessary.
“A lot of things have been printed about me,” Elvis said, “and most of it has been untrue.” He didn’t say to what he was exactly referring. He stated that many people thought that ‘Hound Dog” had been his biggest seller, at nine million copies, but ‘It’s Now Or Never’ had sold 20 million.
Later in the show he commented: “I've got 56 Gold singles and 14 Gold albums and if there’s anyone out there who doubts it, if you can ever come through Memphis you can come in'and argue about it, *cause I've got every one of them hanging on the wall. I'm really proud of it. I've outsold the Beatles and Jones — all of ’em put together.” There were those who felt Elvis was merely trying to ‘set the record straight’ for those in attendance, who obviously cared so much. In my opinion, Elvis’ statements could have gone without saying at this show or any other. Elvis’ unequalled successes speak for themselves!
The programme, the second that day, began late because of big traffic-jams outside as the masses poured into the Forum. After 15 minutes, Elvis bounded on stage in a striking white jumpsuit with floor-length fringes along the sleeves. The audience laughed later when the fringes kept getting tangled. “Damn fringes,” Presley said, untangling himself. “Seemed like a good idea at the time.”

BIZARRE

The audience itself was a bizarre assortment of people. It looked as though all the teenagers who had screamed for Presley 15 years ago were there, the girls with their bouffant hairstyles and the guys sporting pompadoured hair and the current addition of thick sideburns. There were a lot of imitation Elvises and Priscillas. I would guess the average age of the crowd from 25 to 30. It’s my guess, too, that there would have been many more young teenagers if the prices had not been so steep at 5 to 10 dollars.
Elvis’ wife, dressed in a white monk-type hooded long dress, watched the entire show from the side of the 10-foot- high stage. At one point a young girl screamed out at Elvis and he reacted: “Cool it, Priscilla... she always gets so excited at these things!” The audience loved it. All in all, the show was very like his Vegas act, except that it lacked the intimacy of the 2,000-seat Showroom International.
He did, however, present a few new additions which were really exciting and much appreciated — those being “How Great Thou Art’ (which only Elvis could get away with at a concert of this type and command complete silence throughout), ‘Funny How Time Slips Away’, ‘One Night’, ‘Love Me’ and ‘“Trying To Get To You’. He ended the show with his usual ‘Can’t Help Falling In Love’ but, on the final chorus, he again got tangled in the fringes and he stopped the band saying, “I can’t end a show like this.” He stood and untangled the suit, then went through the final chorus and
ended in a dramatic bow before running off the stage and into his waiting limousine.

Capacity Gatherings Welcome Presley
      By Frank H. Licberman
      Los Angeles Herald-Examiner
      November 17, 1970

It has been 13 years since Presley had performed in Los Angeles at the Pan Pacific. That night — according to a teenager now in his late 20s — was “outta sight. The girls and even the guys were hysterical. Every gyration brought screams and you could hardly hear him sing. It was truly an unforgettable experience.” So was Saturday.

Presley was greeted by 37,398 fans for two performances at the Forum that grossed S313,464. He was welcomed with screams and a constant barrage of flashbulbs popping, but there was respect and an overwhelming desire to listen, to watch, to appreciate the magical world Elvis Presley had created during the past 15 years

I doubt if anyonc left disappointed. The many sides of Presley were revealed to the audience that made a sell-out of the cvening in just nine hours last month. There was also a share of uncharacteristic comments about record sales and magazine stories. Presley [elt he was among friends and that the Los Angeles crowd was special. “He was more excited and nervous about this date than any on the tour,” said a member of his entourage.

He appcarcd after intermission and the first-half of the show that featured his Las Vegas opening acts — comedian Sammy Shore, the Sweet Inspirations and the Imperials. Presley wore a white jumpsuit— “bought especially for tonight” — with a high-back collar, bell-bottoms, gold embroidery and cape-like wings with floor-length fringes.

“Damn fringe,” Presley kept commenting as it continually got tangled in the mike-cord, guitar- strings and Elvis. “They seemed like a good idea at the time.” he noted. (The photo shows that the fringes affected the performance. However, they were a nice addition to Elvis’ swirling, twisting
and karate-type poses.) With every move the audience screamed. The shrills equalled those heard at any hard-rock concert. yet the crowd was much older — many of them had grown up with Presley. Along with his tunes, Presley noted his record—sal “I've sold over 200 million records. That’s mor¢ than Jones and the Beatles and a few others.” The audience loved it.

Vocally. Presley was dynamic. His deep, rich, powerful voice sounded magnificent over the huge Forum speakers. He wailed on a funky tune and
handled a ballad in a simple, sensitive manner.

His repertoire included a retrospective of his hits, “Suspicious Minds’, ‘“The Wonder Of You‘, “Love Me Tender’ — and other top chart songs. As it did in Las Vegas, his rendition of “Bridge Over Troubled Water” brought “oohs” and “ahs” with much of the audience not realizing the unlimited potential and surefire handling of Presley and a ‘deep’ song.

Presley had the lights turned up towards the end of the show to look at the audience. He greeted many fans with a congenial smile and thanked them for attending. He plugged his upcoming MGM feature entitled Elvis: That'’s The Way It Is, saying that it’s the “best one I've made in 10 years.”

Adding another dimension to the distinct concert were Presley’s personal musicians a superb orchestra under the direction of Joe Guercio.

The members of Presley’s entourage included Glen D. Hardin on piano, Jerry Scheff on bass guitar, Charlie Hodge on guitar (he is also Presley's water-
boy). Ronnie Tutt on drums, James Burtonon lead guitar and John Wilkinson on rhythm guitar.

Note: Frank Lieberman worked in Las Vegas for the Los Angeles Herald-Examiner when Elvis first played the International Hotel in July / August 1969. He secured a rare intérview for a story that was published on February 8, 1970. Later, Lieberman was given a “TCB necklace from Elvis: his wife, Karen, also received a ‘TLC' — for “Tender Loving Care’— pendant as a gift.

1970_Nov_14_ES_01.jpg
1970_Nov_14_ES_03.jpg
1970_Nov_14_ES_04.jpg
1970_Nov_14_ES_05.jpg
1970_Nov_14_ES_10.jpg
1970_nov_14_ES_46.png
1970_nov_14_ES_11.png
1970_nov_14_ES_12.png
1970_nov_14_ES_13.png
1970_nov_14_ES_14.png
1970_nov_14_ES_15.png
1970_nov_14_ES_16.png
1970_nov_14_ES_17.png
1970_nov_14_ES_18.png
1970_nov_14_ES_19.png
1970_nov_14_ES_20.png
1970_nov_14_ES_21.png
1970_nov_14_ES_22.png
1970_nov_14_ES_23.png
1970_nov_14_ES_24.png
1970_nov_14_ES_25.png
1970_nov_14_ES_26.png
1970_nov_14_ES_27.png
1970_nov_14_ES_28.png
1970_nov_14_ES_29.png
1970_Nov_14_ES_30.jpg
1970_Nov_14_ES_31.jpg
1970_Nov_14_ES_32.jpg
1970_nov_14_ES_47.png
1970_Nov_14_ES_33.jpg
1970_Nov_14_ES_34.jpg
1970_Nov_14_ES_35.jpg
1970_Nov_14_ES_36.jpg
1970_Nov_14_ES_37.jpg
1970_Nov_14_ES_38.jpg
1970_Nov_14_ES_39.jpg
1970_Nov_14_ES_40.jpg
1970_nov_14_ES_41.png
1970_nov_14_ES_42.png
1970_nov_14_ES_43.png
1970_nov_14_ES_44.png
1970_nov_14_ES_45.png
1970_nov_14_ES_48.png

Alan
Site Admin

Post by Alan » Sat Dec 10, 2022 10:16 pm

In the morning Elvis leaves the Airport Marina Hotel and the ninth floor which he and his entourage had completely taken up and headed to the airport to fly to Los Angeles.

ZANNE LEIGH STONICH: So Jim took me to the airport and allowed me to go aboard Elvis’ plane. We took some pictures inside. There were only a few people there, mostly from the press. Elvis was posing for pictures. I started to | walk towards him hoping to get his autograph. He saw me, smiled and yelled: “What's her name?” Somebody yelled out my name and when I got to Elvis, I said “Can I...?” That’s all I had a chance to say. He grabbed me and kissed me.
Then we stood together while people took pictures of us and Elvis whispered in my ear: “Do you want to go with me?” My eyes got big, and I turned four different shades of red. “I can’t,” I said. He asked, “Why not, honey?” I blurted | out, “I’m only fifteen.” He stood back, shook his head and then gave me the cutest smile. Then he said, “God! You're kidding!” He laughed, signed my autograph book and then he walked to the plane.

The next time I saw Elvis was in February 1971 when he was performing at the International in Las Vegas. Elvis changed over the years and the last time I saw him — in 1976 — I could hardly recognise him. The glamour and excitement that surrounded him were wonderful, but the high price that he eventually paid for it was heart-breaking.

Elvis leaves the hotel
1970_nov_14_am_01.png
1970_nov_14_am_02.png
1970_nov_14_am_03.png
Elvis at the airport
1970_nov_14_am_04.png
1970_nov_14_am_05.png
In the photograph on the left Elvis poses with fan, Zanne Leigh Stinich, and the photo on the right Elvis poses with his driver, Jim, and a security guard.

ANONYMOUS FAN: These pictures are my memories of the time that I met Elvis and he kissed me. I had just graduated from high school in 1970 and started working for AT&T in Burlingame, California. I purchased tickets with a friend of mine to see him at the Cow Palace in San Francisco in November 1970. While I was working as a long-distance operator, I picked up Elvis’ call that he wanted to make
to Priscilla in Graceland. I then found out that he had booked the ninth-floor of the Airport Marina in Burlingame and so my friend and I went to catch a glimpse of Elvis. We started talking with the chauffeurs for Elvis and they had said, “If you can get past the gate where his private plane is, he stays and talks with those around.” So I made sure we passed the gates and were able to meet him and get his autograph and the pictures while he was standing and visiting with all those surrounding him. As he boarded the plane, he kissed both my friend’s cheek and my cheek. Elvis had a small stick with an ivory handle and gems which he said that had he purchased at a shop in Beverly Hills. I also understand that he gave the Burlingame Chief of Police a handgun with an ivory handle inscribed with ‘TCB’.

Elvis about to board the plane

1970_nov_14_am_06.png
Elvis signs his autograph for
a fan at the San Francisco
International Airport
1970_nov_14_am_07.png
As Elvis shakes hands with an
unknown man, Charlie Hodge
and Zanne Leigh Stonich can be
seen standing in the background
1970_nov_14_am_08.png
Elvis pictured about to
board his private jet

Alan
Site Admin

Post by Alan » Thu Dec 15, 2022 11:09 am

1970_Nov_14_ES_49.jpg
1970_Nov_14_ES_50.jpg
1970_Nov_14_ES_51.jpg

Return to “November 1970”