15th July 1970, Wednesday

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Graeme
Site Admin

15th July 1970, Wednesday

Post by Graeme » Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:05 am

Day number 12973Site Date Map
Yesterday << 15th July 1970, Wednesday >> Tomorrow

Alan
Site Admin

Re: 15th July 1970, Wednesday

Post by Alan » Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:53 am

I've spent a lot of hours the past few weeks, more than could be considered healthy, trying to understand the timeline of these rehearsals.
I've looked long and hard at yesterday, July 14th, left it "as is" for now and I'll return to it. but I've just finished going through all the video clips for today, july 15th, and so whilst its freshest in my mind I'll try and explain the issues I have.
I'm convinced that the accepted / known listings, although some vary slightly, are wrong and are based upon bootleg releases from the 90's where the listing has been chopped up in order to give a more pleasant audio experience - and official releases as well.
I'm struggling if Sony / FTD / BMG have got it wrong with their FTD 50th anniversary mega release, that to me is unlikely, they have the tapes, they know the order.
But it clashes with the film we have.
The simplest one to cite is Cryin' Time. At the end you can see a tidy studio, instruments put away and the band members leave the studio after the song is over.
Yet in the time line of events it's placed near the middle of the days rehearsal. So we know from that the time line is wrong from just this one song alone.
Then there's playback of an acetate to listen to a song, even partly singing along to it as well and then afterwards we get a completely different song sung with the rehearsal of the the song on the acetate coming much later. That can be explained by having a run through of some of the acetates to get the band familiar and then a reheasrsal one by one.
After Hey Jude Elvis sings the opening words to Twenty Days and Twenty Nights, "I left my home.." and stops saying, "I don't know the words to that song yet." Two songs later internet listings have him singing it, then again after Alla En Al Rancho Grande it gets repeated in lists only as "one line only". I think that it's duplicate / triplicate info. When we see Elvis properly rehearse that song he has the words in front of him and uses Charlie as a guide vocal.
Another factor in all this, though a little crude, is Elvis himself, he starts filming with shades on and his hair not too "shaken".
Then shades off.
Then a towel around his neck and very "sweaty".
I've coloured the songs accordingly below where blue is shades on.
Red / orange where Elvis has no shades and no towel.
Green where Elvis has a towel around his neck.
Then there's Elvis' voice, it changes and is a little hoarse in places, after all he's been singing for quite a while at this rehearsal, as well as yesterday.
I think the MGM crew started filming half way through the session today and not all 6 hours on and off.
The songs where they seem to start half way through and you think, "Why miss the first half?" is because they're getting set up for the next song and so use the last part of the preceeding song to test the things they test, clapperboard, audio, focus, camera placements, lighting etc.
I believe the filmed performances from the rehearsal all come in the latter part of the list and non filmed come first. That's very crude again as I'm convinced MGM didn't film every part of the latter half of the rehearsals, so it's not an exact science, just that no film is from the first half but some audio only can be from the second half.

Current listing

Just Pretend
Stranger In The Crowd
(above is rehearsal #1 of 3)
Stagger Lee
Any Day Now
(above is just one line)
I Got My Mojo Working
Elvis talks
Mary In The Morning
(above is playback of the acetate)
Stranger In The Crowd
(above is playback of the acetate)
Ive Lost You
(above is with a reprise)
Stranger In The Crowd
(above is rehearsal #2 of 3)
The Next Step Is Love
You Dont Have To Say You Love Me
(above is rehearsal #1 of 2 - breaksdown)
(above pick up breakdown #1 of 2 - breaksdown again)
(above is re-pick up breakdown of #1 of 2)
(above is rehearsal #2 of 2)
Sweet Caroline
Yesterday
Hey Jude
Twenty Days And Twenty Nights
(above is one line only, `I left my home`)
I Cant Stop Loving You

Guitar Man
Tomorrow Never Comes
Instrumental
Its Your Baby, You Rock It
(above is a few lines only)
Cryin Time
Ghost Riders In The Sky
Surrender
(above is lah-lah-lah-ing a few seconds only)
Runaway
Its Now Or Never
Peter Gunn Theme
(above is instrumental only)
Walk A Mile In My Shoes
Love Me
One Night
Alla En Al Rancho Grande
(above is one line only)
Thats All Right
(above is rehearsal #1 of 2)

(above is rehearsal #1 of 3 singing to acetate playback)
Thats All Right
(above is rehearsal #2 of 2)
Roll Out The Barrel
(above Elvis sings title. Short piano instrumental)
Warner Brothers `Thats All Folks`
(above is short piano instrumental only)
I Could Have Danced All Night
(above is short bass instrumental only)
Danny Boy
(above is short instrumental only)
(above is rehearsal #2 of 3 - breaksdown at 1:00)
(above pick up of rehearsal #2 of 3 `City ways..`)
(above is rehearsal #3 of 3)
Ill Never Fall In love Again
(above is just `I've been in love..`)

Suzie Q
Patch It Up
Cotton Fields
Sylvia
Stranger In The Crowd
(above is rehearsal #2 of 3 - intro only)
Stranger In The Crowd
(above rehearsal #2 of 3 - one line only)
Stranger In The Crowd
(above is rehearsal #3 of 3)
Stranger In The Crowd
(above is 3 reprises - la-la-la ing the words)
Mona Lisa
(above is piano only played by Elvis)
How The Web Was Woven
Ill Take You Home Again Kathleen
- suegued with -
My Wish Came True
(above is piano only played by Elvis)
So can anyone help please?
Please click, drag and highlight the list, CTRL +C to copy, reply and CTRL+V to paste in a post and chop it about with what you think might be a more realistic order. Or you can just click the "Quote" button and edit it to get the list that way as well.
The opening thread post has all the audio and video clips from the session that we know of (Except I've yet to put the ending of Elvis on piano video up) so you can see and hear some of the issues I've raised.
15562days.com - Build it and they will come...

Return to “July 1970”