1st August 1954, Sunday

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Graeme
Site Admin

1st August 1954, Sunday

Post by Graeme » Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:20 am

Day number 7146Site Date Map
Yesterday << 1st August 1954, Sunday >> Tomorrow

The boys appeared on Radio KWEM of West Memphis, AR. The show was hosted by Dick Stuart & Elvis Scotty & Bill performed both sides of their new single.

Private Presley

Re: 1st August 1954, Sunday

Post by Private Presley » Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:20 am

When Elvis Presley came over to Bob Neal's house the morning after the Overton Shell show, Elvis Presley was ecstatic. "This isn't just another singer", Helen Neal remarked to her husband, "this boy is different". Helen Neal urged her husband to manage Elvis Presley. She pointed out that she could work until they made some money. Although they had five sons, Neal's radio job and the money he earned booking Elvis Presley would be enough to get them through the hard times. Elvis Presley liked the idea, because Bob Neal had a reputation for honestly and integrity. He was also the best-known promoter in Memphis.

Bob Neal says, ''When I returned to the microphone, one of the first people to visit was Elvis. Shy and polite, he was waiting in the lobby that morning when I left the studio. 'Well, good morning, Elvis', I said. 'Mornin', Mr. Neal, I just wanted to thank you for playin' my records. And for letting be on the show at the Shell'. 'It's certainly been my pleasure, Elvis. I've been on vacation, but it looks like the requests are still coming in strong'. The shy smile twinkled. 'I'm sure glad'. 'Elvis, you know there's something that I wanted to ask you', I said, 'When I first met you, I had a feeling of some kind that I knew who you were. I just don't know why, but I had that feeling'''. Ýou know where you seen me?' He chuckled, 'You been seein' me right here'. 'What do you mean'? 'Mr. Neal, I been comin'to see the High Noon Roundup, especially the Blackwood Brothers off an on for the past year or so. I guess that's where you saw me'''. With this trigger for my memory it all became evident. Now I could remember seeing the shy, slim youth with the long sideburns sitting as inconspicuously as possible in the studio audience, obviously enjoying the performances that were broadcast each Monday through Friday. 'When are you going to have another record out'? I asked. 'We have been working on it with Mr. Phillips', Elvis said. 'I'll bring you a copy as soon as it's out'''.

In the afternoon, Elvis Presley, Scotty Moore and Bill Black may have a brief appearance on Doug Poindexter's regular KWEM radio show in West Memphis, Arkansas. Dixie Locke and Scotty Moore's wife Bobbie accompanying them.

By August 1, 1954, after feverish efforts to garner publicity, radio time and distribution for Elvis' record, Sun Records reported that "That's All Right" had sold more than six thousand copies. Sam Phillips finally had a strong regional artists. The sales of "That's All Right" and "Blue Moon Of Kentucky" so buyed Phillips' hopes for a major country music booking, that he contacted the "Grand Ole Opry" to inquire about an appearance for Elvis Presley.

Sam Phillips made a call, but found that "Grand Ole Opry" chief talent scout Jim Denny was reluctant to book Elvis Presley. The reason for Denny's refusal remains a mystery. He was not the confirmed country purist that some have suggested. In fact, during the 1940s, Denny modernized the "Grand Ole Opry" by introducing new singing stars and deemphasizing the old string bands that had dominated the "Opry". This ended the barn dance atmosphere of the "Grand Ole Opry", turning it into a highly commercial vehicle for country musicians. As a result of Denny's foresight, such country stars as Hank Williams, Webb Pierce, Ray Price, and Faron Young made their mark at the "Grand Ole Opry". Denny was always looking for new, undiscovered performers. He was a shrewd judge of talent, but Denny's decisions were often influenced by other musicians. Many Memphis musicians were critical of Elvis Presley, and most of the country acts appearing on the "Grand Ole Opry" were hostile as well. Malcolm Yelvington, one of Elvis' strongest supporters, urged other musicians to leave him alone. When Yelvington and his Star Rhythm Boys played at Eagle's Nest, he was impressed with Elvis' intermission sets. "I never played with Elvis, but I certainly admired him and his music", Yelvington reflected. Finally, however, although the negative opinions had severely prejudiced Denny, Phillips' perseverance paid off, and Jim Denny agreed to audition Elvis Presley.

Return to “August 1954”